confused

jen

Now OH has taken early retirement (61 years) we will be spending about 7 months in France.  Have been trying to research what we need to do regarding health cover and would welcome some advise please......

Will the EHIC cover us if we are in France, if not what should we do.

We have also read that the EHIC is only valid for 2.5 years from ceasing of paying NI contributions.  What do others do for the period from then to claiming state pension. 

The length of time you are proposing to stay does indeed make this a tough one.  There's a kind of unwritten rule of thumb that after 6 months in France you become resident and must join the French system if you can (by dint of an S form) or get private treatment so you have a couple of options.

1.  You can just come over here and use your EHIC if necessary and just hope that nobody spots the fact that you're not actually on holiday here.

2. You can limit your stay to just under 6 months and use the EHIC more within the spirit of its intent.

3. You can accept that you are in fact French residents and apply for an S1 (formerly an E106) from the DWP centre for non-residents in Newcastle,which will last you up to 30 months depending on your/your o/h's employment record and NI contributions.  But then, after the 7 months is up and you go back, you'd have to reverse the process so it's not really practical, imho.

There was a long thread on just this subject recently - I'll try to fiind it.  You are somewhat caught between two stools here, given the length of stay you propose and the rules are far from clear for you.  You might try calling the DWP anyway to ask for their opinion.What's more all this is dependent upon the UK's position within the EU remaining stable!!!

All in all, especially given the current uncertainties, plus the other implications such as taxation etc, I'd be tempted to limit your proposed visits to France a little more so that you can use your EHIC (so long as such things may last), rather than commiting more than you need to to this country, but that is just a personal opinion.  There are a few regular posters on here who do this (Paul T, Gardengirl) sort of thing who can explain the do/don'ts etc much more fully than I.

[quote user="jen"]

Now OH has taken early retirement (61 years) we will be spending about 7 months in France.  Have been trying to research what we need to do regarding health cover and would welcome some advise please......

We have also read that the EHIC is only valid for 2.5 years from ceasing of paying NI contributions.  What do others do for the period from then to claiming state pension. 

[/quote]

You don't state your own age, but if you get to 60 before your husband gets to 65 you could get cover for both of you based on your entitlement.

I am assuming you are intending to do this on a regular basis. If not ignore my post..

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="jen"]

[/quote]
You don't state your own age, but if you get to 60 before your husband gets to 65 you could get cover for both of you based on your entitlement.
I am assuming you are intending to do this on a regular basis. If not ignore my post..
[/quote]The age at which a woman qualifies for her pension is changing, Norman, so it's important for Jan to realise that it's not necessarily at 60 that she will be entitled to an S1.  The UK state pensionable age is the key here, but in all other respects of course you are correct.[:)]

Unfortunately ... sometimes it doesn't work to say: This is what we're going to do, so how do we do it.

Sometimes you have to start at the other end, find out what the options and implications are first, and cut your cloth to suit.

Sorry and all, just thought it might be worth mentioning ...