5-yearly health MOT

nectarine

I've been told by several people that you can have a health check every few years - sort of like an MOT. A friend told me that you have to go directly to a clinic whereas another said you go through your doctor. Before ringing my doctor can anyone tell me what the procedure is, what checks are involved, etc?

Many thanks

We went on one of these.

During a very long wait at CPAM I worked my way through all the reading matter I could find.

One of the leaflets was offering this checkup so I filled it in for me and OH.

We were sent an appointment at Nimes (about 50 miles away from our home).

We decided to treat it as a minibreak, booked into a little cheap hotel, saw the sights and had the check too.

We had to present ourselves with a urine sample at 8.30 a jeun (nothing to eat)

We had a long form to fill in before we were seen - all sorts of health questions to answer.

we had weight, eyes, ears and teeth checked, they took a blood test, blood pressure.

As I was due for a frotti (cervical cancer screening) they provided that.

At the end there was an interview to discuss the results and time for questions and advice.

And then they gave us free breakfast!

A couple of weeks later we received written results to include blood and urine tests.

This included advice on how to improve our general health.

We put in a claim form for expenses - they paid us petrol but would have also paid loss of earnings for the day if we hadn't been retired.

If you get the chance for one of these tests, take it!

We received invitations in the post from our caisse maladie (RAM/RSI) in big envelopes. They contained questionnaires about life style eg smoker, drinker, if so how much? and family medical history. We're then supposed to make an appointment with our GP for an examination and then the lab for blood tests etc. I have to admit we still haven't made the appointments! It's all free, ie no need to pay for the blood tests etc or appointment.

I don't know if you can just go to your French GP and demand one out of the blue though.

FairyNuff

I thought it was just automatic - we had invitations several years ago and ignored them, then got sent another invitation a few years later which we signed up for.

I think it's a good idea - mine picked up a urine infection I wasn't aware of, plus reassurance regarding chloresterol and stuff like that.

as someone else said, it was all free, and we were reimbursed for travel expenses.

We had no contact with our doctor beforehand - though he did get sent the results, and all follow-ups (eg urine infection) were with him.

Lou

You can have a sort of DIY one with your Doctor.

A 'bilan sanguin' ( a comprehensive blood test for things like liver/kidney problems, diabetes prostate(for men) anemia cholesterol  etc)

Weight check, blood pressure.

I also had yearly tests for blood in the stools provided by the region.

I asked for this when I got to 60, and it turned up a couple of problems which have since been treated (including prostate cancer in a very early stage while still curable)

Depends on your GP though, and I don't think that as yet they get a bonus for this sort of preventative medicine

La Caisse Maladie send me an invitation every five years my third one is coming up next year.  A stool test is usually sent with the 'pack'. As I see regularly a gynae and an ophthalmo I don't have thoe tests but the pulmonary and cardiac ones are worth the visit.  I had a hearing test last time and was asked if I'd like to see a councellor for any dependance problems I might have[:-))] All in all it's worth the trip even if I had to get up at chicken f*rt to get there in the dark on time.  The 'breakfast' I skipped and headed for the nearest PMU for a real coffee and croissant[;-)]  As Norman says, it is preventative medicine and worth the hassle as you never know what it might show up.

Some of the tests are pretty basic, and I'm not entirely sure how much "unknown" conditions they might pick up - but it can't hurt.

For  example the eyesight test I had was very basic but as I wear glasses I go regularly to the ophthalmologist anyway.

I think it's worthwhile, especially if you're lucky enough not to see your doctor on a regular basis.

Lou

[quote user="nectarine"]I've been told by several people that you can have a health check every few years - sort of like an MOT. A friend told me that you have to go directly to a clinic whereas another said you go through your doctor. Before ringing my doctor can anyone tell me what the procedure is, what checks are involved, etc?

Many thanks[/quote]

Previous discussion: http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2525042/ShowPost.aspx

many thanks, I shall check on our ameli website to see if there's something written there. It seems to be a bit hit and miss, depends on where you live; however as friends in this department have had them then I guess they must be offered. Further investigation required!

I received an invitation for a health MOT about 3/4 years ago but was so busy at the time I didn't go. [typical man I hear you say]. So now life is not so hectic can I trigger another invitation? or should I just go ask the doc?

Nectarine, I too live in Lot et Garonne and, though living here for more than 5 years have received no invitation to participate. Since we're off to New Zealand soon for Christmas I plan to make enquiries with CPAM in the New Year. However if you get any more info before this could you please let me know. Thanks

• 1 month later...
Nectarine - When we got home after Xmas the mail included an invite for the health check. This was purely coincidental as I had intended to contact CPAM. It maybe because we have been here just over 5 years now. We intend to take full advantage of this.

Not really Tony, as in the UK unlike France, GP practices are paid by the UK government to provide or coordinate numerous free age related health screening services for diabetes, prostate, heart, blood pressure, cholesterol, mammogram, cervical smears, etc. However, GP practices in France tend to be smaller and less resourced than their UK equivalents, many of which are evolving into medical centres with dedicated resources such as ultrasound, xray, minor ops capabilitties and practice nurses, whom often undertake the health screening, before you see your GP to discuss the results.