Prostate cancer

Evianers

Just completed a quick search with the above words. Unbelievably, there was nothing.

Does anyone have any experience, views, ideas about recently diagnosed problems.

We had never heard about the Gleason scale until last month, now know a great deal.

If preferred, PM in confidence. Thank you.

[quote user="Russethouse"] A friend of mine was cured of Prostate cancer last year after an operation using 'Robbie the Robot' http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/support_us/robbie_the_robot_appeal.aspx?theme=Patient and a course of radio therapy afterward. Using the robot apparently means less side effects and is less invasive.[/quote]

And the surgeon doesn't even have to be in the same hospital! or county!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Brsm56TyA

An ALD  (Affection Longue Durée) is a disease that usually takes time and resources to deal with, such as cancer or diabetes.

http://www.ameli.fr/professionnels-de-sante/medecins/exercer-au-quotidien/les-affections-de-longue-duree/index.php

Because of this the Sécurité Sociale reimburses the expenses of treatment, and some other things such as transport at 100% rather than the usual 70% or 80%.

This means that your 'top-up' doesn't pay anything. (Or you if you don't have one)

Cancer, Stroke, and Diabetes are three clear examples, but your General Doctor has to apply for you to be accepted

I recently posted the list of these illnesses on another thread, and other people chipped in with a few tips on the various admin steps to take.

Perhaps someone can find that thread?

The list in French is here

http://www.ameli.fr/professionnels-de-sante/medecins/exercer-au-quotidien/les-affections-de-longue-duree/qu-est-ce-qu-une-affection-de-longue-duree/les-ald-exonerantes.php

The most useful element of being accepted for me is the ability to have a taxi-ambulance to take me to appointments at a centre quite a distance from me, and of course the freedom from worry about whether there will be anything to pay.

Only the specific illness is covered at 100%.  The rest are still as before.

To those incredibly kind and thoughtful people on the forum who contributed to the posts last week - another profound thank you. We had the scintigraphie yesterday, which, although taking up quite a lot of time, proved that there are no tumours - that is not to say that there are not a few cells attaching themselves to the bones, but that there is no sign of other activity. So as you can well imagine, we are incredibly relieved and now return next Monday to the urologist, and from there to our GP to ascertain whether we can be attributed the status of ALD. Once again, our sincere and heartfelt thanks for all your support. MERCI

Yes indeed..... no doubt about it. We have a great deal to be grateful for.

Heard of a woman yesterday who had a double mastectomy: a simultaneous biopsy showed no cancerous cells. What an awful physical and psychological ordeal for her and her family - far worse than our small instance. But then each person's problems are their own, n'est pas. Thanks to everyone once again. Merci.

Once again, our profound thanks for this very useful information. We are collecting everything possible so that our visit to the urologist on Monday seems informed and knowledgeable [we hope]! There is a great deal of very sound advice in the schedule. Merci!!

Hope I am not boring you wonderful, long-suffering, supportive people on the forum: discussed the various options this morning and reviewing the short and long-term side effects with consultant, OH has elected to have radical prostatectomy and get it all over and done with. Side effects from other options, including brachytherapy apparently are minimal IF the treatment works: for the 15% where it does not, then there are major problems. Radiotherapy.... well, we all know what that does to the body.

And unfortunately it doesn't end there: whilst looking carefully at the scan, he found a tumour on one of the kidneys which also has to be addressed at a later stage.

Upshot, our planned holiday to Santiago de Compostella where we have long wanted to go has had to be cancelled and we hope QueasyJet will not be too rigid about changing the flights without penalty. Anyone any information on this please? [Have letter from doctor confirming operation to take place 4 days before we were due to fly].

But you should see us both with a positive smile on our faces, thinking of those who are worse off.

Thanks again you lovely people.....

I'm sure the radical approach is the best - it's tough losing your bits (although I guess for women past childbearing age like myself it's easier for us in a way) or bits of your bits, but once gone the tumours have less chance.  B*mmer about the kidneys though - hope you're both bearing up OK.

Did you use a card to book your flights as that may be the best way to recoup any losses if you have no travel insurance?  That's how I got my Eurotunnel costs back - via Mastercard.

The major thing is to have reached a decision, and to have all that uncertainty behind you.

I know several men who have had the surgery and are very happy with the result.

I did opt for radiotherapy (because I have other problems which make it better to avoid anaesthetics if possible) and if anybody else goes down that route I can say that with the very modern techniques now available (many small doses from many different angles, and a tightly shaped and precise beam)  most of the problems that used to be associated are now avoided.

It does complicate things if surgery in the pelvic area is later required however, and with my luck that is what happened. I couldn't avoid surgery after all...(but not for the prostate, which has been fine)

Sorry to hear about the other tumour, but it does show how that once you get into the system they are extremely thorough. I feel that while I could develop another problem, or have a relapse it would be found quickly.

There are other people walking around who have no idea of what they have..

As you say, look on the bright side and do as much living as you can.

I am sure you will get your holiday even if a bit later than planned.

[quote user="NormanH"]Sorry to hear about the other tumour, but it does show how that once you get into the system they are extremely thorough. I feel that while I could develop another problem, or have a relapse it would be found quickly.
There are other people walking around who have no idea of what they have..
As you say, look on the bright side and do as much living as you can.
I am sure you will get your holiday even if a bit later than planned.

[/quote]

I echo Normans thoughts and wish you good luck with the procedure and aftercare