I can now see again!

Judith

Not been posting on here very much, as it has been extremely difficult since the re-design of the forum to see the posts without scrolling back and forth, since I needed the print so large.  This was due to (a) my very short sight and (b) cataracts.

Last Monday the first cataract op took place .... and bingo - already a result.

I can see the forum at one size less than  before ... and can see the name column and the posts, and so I may be able to join in more now.

I am putting this into health because the op was done here in France as an ambulatory, even with my eye history, floaters, retinal tears etc, and I can now see to read without glasses using mainly the good eye, which because it is the dominant eye it is working very well without much help from the second eye - which will be done asap.  Many English friends assumed that I would return to the UK for the treatment, but I do not believe I would have had the same outcome there.  The opthalmo listened to me when I asked if it were possible to read without glasses .... and he has given me sight which I have never had before (worn glasses since 3yrs old)  ... OK to read and yet good at a distance, though it is probable I will need glasses for driving for the extra clarity.  But I am absolutely amazed at how I am coping already only 2 days later!

I just felt I had to share such good news with you all - we hear so many bad luck stories on the forum, I thought good news would brighten all our days.

I remember well the feeling after the cataract op, before I waseffectively blind in the eye, I could read only the largest single letter on the chart on a good day and with the lights on, after I could make things out but not read, several months later I had laser surgery for a secondary cataract (it can happen) and the difference that time was absolutely amazing.

So if you are in time diagnosed with a secondary cataract dont worry, its a tiny procedure and the result is instant and dramatic.

Thank you everyone, for reporting your very positive experiences. I know my turn is coming very soon and I am absolutely petrified, so much so that I haven't even made an appointment with the ophthalmo - only seen the local one who was so nonplussed and talking about "opacification du cristallin" as he was trying to reassure me that cataract surgery was still not needed. As I have got to the point where I do not recognise people in the street, and have to wear sunglasses and visor all the time as the sunlight is much too bright and blinding, I am so reassured to read the above posts.

Chancer, I didn't even know about secondary cataracts!! Judith, I had no idea that you would be able to use your eye so soon after the op.

Well done all of you eye patients, I am such a coward when it comes to eyes and teeth...

Congrats Judith!

I had my left eye done back in May this year. I'm not a very brave patient! The staff were fantastic and I honestly never felt a thing and was only vaguely aware of the surgeon talking in the backgorund as he did the job. I could see later that day, but a bit blurry. Progress thereafter was rapid but I had to refrain from heavy work (lifting etc) and avoid dust for 4 weeks. This really is a simple but VERY effective procedure and no-one should have any worries about it. If my other eye develops a cataract I'll submit to the surgery like a shot. It's made a huge difference for driving.

I've posted elsewhere that I was also impressed by the cleanliness at the hospital; there was absolutely no clutter anywhere, making it much easier to clean the room and corridors etc. There were very comrehensive instructions issued about showering and washing those bits "down below" [blink] I'm not sure how that helps an eye operation but I guess they're a general set of rules.

The whole cost is borne by the health service by the way.

Gosh - what a lot of happy people I've made!  Thank you all. 

Late replying, as last night I was rather tired with the one eye working for other (which is I think the main problem, and I hope I don't have to stay like this for too long!), and this afternoon was my first foray in a car - (I was driven) - yes, I shall definitely need glasses for driving  - but I could read quite a lot of the signs which I haven't been able to do for sometime now easily - and that with only one good eye.  It really is remarkable.

If I may, I'll try to answer all the questions in one post:

NormanH - yes locally, ie Narbonne, but I gather there is also a very good clinic in Colombiers.

Chancer - I did know about secondaries as hubby got one earlier this year - and same opthalmo did his quick laser treatmtent for it. 

Sid - useful to know that the cost is covered, as so far I've paid the opthalmo (who is secteur 2 so expected to pay something),and the anaesthestics "interview" but that is all and I expect I'll get some of that back.  But it would have been worth paying to get this sight.

5-E - now come along - I too was worried stiff - especially as I could not ask all the questions I'd  have liked answers to with my French ... but I had got to the state where I could not see at all well, and knew it was time .... and you sound worse than I was, so go and do it.  Find a good opthalmo - if you are near enough, I'll give you the info for mine - and get it done.  I could not feel a thing, and when I told the surgeon that I didn't want to see what was happening (I could see drops being put in before the op started, but not feel them) , he said, there is a big bright light, you won't see anything!  Which was true.  So I was concious all the time, but relaxed, and the only pain was putting in the IV for the anaesthesia!!

I too was completely amazed at being able to see so soon - there was some double vision when I got home, but after a nap in the afternoon, it had all gone, and I could see even with the protective shield on to walk around without glasses using the treated eye.  Once the shield came off the only thing stopping me having almost perfect vision is the second eye which is of course all blurred still without glasses, so impacts on the new eye - as I knew it would.

So 5-E - go for it .... you will not regret it.

I go for my first check-up tomorrow,  so will know if there are any problems soon enough!

Bye for now!

Thank you so much for your reassuring words, Judith, and good luck with the check-up tomorrow. I hope you will continue to progress by leaps and bounds!

Someone else I know who had that procedure done, told me that the worst part was.... the noise. That noise was from the surgeon tearing open the packaging of the instruments etc., that he was using![:D]

Yes, I will do it. And you are right, there comes a time when there is no choice, and I can only be grateful that I was born in a part of the world where that procedure is available and fairly ordinary!

Check up now completed - he didn't seem at all worried, and happy to do the other eye when I'm ready.  I felt like saying "next week please", but decided it was probably more sensible to wait until the new eye has chance to settle down a little.  Only problem is the blurred vision caused by the other eye, and not been able to drive - and a little itchiness and dryness.  I also thought I'd like some time to recover from the first op, anaesthetics, à jeun and all...

I am sure if I cannot stand the wait, if he can fit me in before the scheduled date - he will - though he is very, popular, and now I can see why.

He confirmed that I will need glasses for driving and for the fine detail .... but hey, after 60 years of wearing them, who's complaining if I can manage all but the finest of detail without!!!

So go for it 5-E - I just cannot believe the difference it has made to me already!