Stroke aftercare in France

BobDee

We have been living in France for 6 years, and have carte vitalle and complementaire insurance.

We are presently in Spain and 4 weeks ago I suffered a stroke. Luckily not the most serious sort, but at the moment I have pretty much lost the use of my left arm.

i am receiving excelent care here in Spain, but the physios advise that the care should be continuous in the early weeks / months and advise staying in Spain until the care situation in France is known.

I have telephoned my french gp and told him of my stroke but it is difficult to have a long call as he is a one man band and anwers his phone while treating other patients.

A french friend has told me that stroke care tends to be at residential centres.

Has anyone had experience of these and whether there are waiting lists etc?

tnks

BobD

I am very sorry to hear of your situation.

If you are getting good treatment and can afford to stay I would advise staying there for a while

This site might give you some help

http://www.attaquecerebrale.org/que-faire-en-cas-d-avc-/conseils-apres-un-avc.html

It suggests various alternatives according to your needs

My own experiences were a bit negative, but I was not a serious case so was probably a bit over looked

I have had 3 minor strokes leaving me with a paralysed right foot.  some years ago

I was kept in hospital for a fortnight and sent home on foot in the snow in December...not even a taxi ambulance, but that was probably exceptional

Since then I have spent time in a Maison de repos for three months after a major operation but it was hard finding a place, ( I think you have to be sponsored by a Doctor, you can't just book in)  and I ended up paying 3000+ € in various fees, despite having a Mutelle and being covered for medical costs at 100%

On the other hand the kinés were excellent, and my stay a good experience