Genetic cancer testing - Oscar Lambret Clinique, Lille

sueyh

Thank you.  There is no risk of me doing too much, my hubby has eyes in the back of his head and when I first came out of hospital he even had one of our french friends coming up to sit with me so that I could not do anything while he was out!  Also my body tells me when I have done too much.

Suey xx

[quote user="sueyh"]Thank you.  There is no risk of me doing too much, my hubby has eyes in the back of his head and when I first came out of hospital he even had one of our french friends coming up to sit with me so that I could not do anything while he was out![/quote]He's not related to mine, is he?

I'm so glad you're recovering so well.[:)]

I think when a partner has had the health problems you've had  Suey,  the other half of the partnership can feel so helpless that they throw themselves into the after-care, following to the letter the instructions of the doctors. You have a worried and caring partner, just what you need at this time.

Best of luck for the future.

• 1 year later...
I thought that I would update you on my progress. 

Having discussed with my Gynaecologist the question of preventative mastectomy, he suggested that there are hundreds of women who pay thousands of pounds to have surgery to make their breasts magnificent, so in view of my risk (85% breast cancer) I would be improving my chance of living.  I therefore had a prophylactic double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with expanding implants last May.  All went well and i visited my surgeon every two weeks to have my expanders filled with saline until I reached the size that I wanted to be (not 44ff I hasten to add).  Then two weeks ago I went in to have my expander implants removed and my "permaboobs" fitted.  I am still a bit uncomfortable but I feel so relieved to have lowered my risk of breast cancer from 85% to 2%.

I just have a couple of final touches that need to be done and all will be finished.

Thanks for listening.

Suey

Suey, don't thank us for listening.  It is we who should thank you for telling us.  In fact, I have been wondering whether you'd had it all done and dusted (oops, I nearly said polished).  Or is a bit of French polishing the final touches you were referring to?

It's always good to hear positive experiences about things that are almost too frightening to even think about.

Well done, you, and now keep well and healthy![:)]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Suey, don't thank us for listening.  It is we who should thank you for telling us.  In fact, I have been wondering whether you'd had it all done and dusted (oops, I nearly said polished).  Or is a bit of French polishing the final touches you were referring to?

[/quote]

Ha ha Sweets.  No as they say, it just needs the cherries on the top [;-)]

Thanks for your kind words

Suey

[quote user="NormanH"]It must have been a hard decision, but were brave and took it, and now you can look forward to the advantages.

It should be all downhill from now on ..

[/quote]

Shouldn't that be "uphill" Norman, always thought up was good and down wasn't so good ?[:D]

[quote user="sueyh"]I thought that I would update you on my progress.  

I just have a couple of final touches that need to be done and all will be finished.

[/quote]

It's certainly good news that the alternative can be avoided in some cases, lots would be delighted to have that chance, congratulations and good luck.

Thank you all so much.  I am a very lucky lady to have discovered that I carry the gene before getting the cancer, unlike my two cousins who lost their battles at the ages of 46 and 66.  I am a previvor.

If anyone has a history of breast, ovarian or prostate cancer in their family, discuss it with your doctor.  The testing is painless, just two blood tests here in France, one if you live in the UK.  There is counselling too if you want it. 

best wishes everyone

Kind regards

Suey

• 5 months later...
UPDATE ;-)

Had my cherries fitted yesterday and tattooing done (in other words new nipples made and the tattooing done round them), under local anaesthetic.  All went well, just a bit tender.  Have dressings changed at hospital on Tuesday.  So relieved it is almost all over except for check-ups. 

Also thanks to the amazing Angelina Jolie the message is getting out there regarding hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.

Thanks for your support everyone.

Suey

[quote user="sueyh"]UPDATE ;-)

Had my cherries fitted yesterday and tattooing done (in other words new nipples made and the tattooing done round them), under local anaesthetic.  All went well, just a bit tender.  Have dressings changed at hospital on Tuesday.  So relieved it is almost all over except for check-ups. 

Also thanks to the amazing Angelina Jolie the message is getting out there regarding hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.

Thanks for your support everyone.

Suey

[/quote]

Suey, it's good to hear that all's going well with you.

By the way, I don't think 61 is very old at all; the Beatles' ''When I'm 64'' seems to me to be just getting into the swing, and then there's three score years and ten to look forward to.   [:D]

• 2 months later...
I recently approached a website "The Good Life France" to ask them to feature a link to the National Hereditary Breast Cancer helpline who were a great help to me.  Their Editor Janine Marsh agreed to do so but asked to write an article about my journey through genetic testing and subsequent surgeries.  Here it is, if any of you think it might be of help to others please pass it on and if anyone wants to contact me just PM me.  

http://www.thegoodlifefrance.com/healthcare-in-france-expat-experience/

Best wishes.

Suey