RE-APPLYING FOR CMU

frenchdc

I have a theory for which I have no tangible proof that there is a general investigation into which country pays for health care, and who has to pay which taxes and charges.

The EU rules say that those with a pension (an OAP) are paid for by the country that pays that pension unless they also have a pension from the country in which they are living, in which case the country of residence pays (and those with multiple pensions from different countries have their health paid by the country who pays the largest pension )

Those who have an S1 do not have to pay social charges in France, but those who also have a French pension do.

Then there are those on early retirement who have a pension (bit not an OAP)  who have to contribute to the CMU, and I believe also have to pay social charges.

All this was a bit of a grey area when it was administered in part by the Ursaaf .

Now it all comes under  the tax authorities (from this year) things are being clarified and tightened up.

new update - have had phone call from CPAM this morning. I told the lady that my situation has not changed since we arrived but she thinks that I have declared a pension for myself on my impot return. I have just checked and I correctly declared that the pension belongs to my wife. The CPAM lady told me that I still need an S1 or a refusal and that she did not understand how the foreigners systems worked. She also explained that there was no need to worry about my operation as my rights remain intact (big relief). I have obviously agreed to send refusal of S1 when it arrives to bring an end to the matter and hopefully all will be ok but I am still very annoyed.

Just an extra piece of info I got from Newcastle. France has never asked the UK for any refunds for us since we joined the system in 2004!

Once your E106 (now S1) expired presumably up to 2 years after you arrived in France, and you started paying 8% of your income to be covered by CMU B, the UK wouldn't refund anything to France as you were then in the French system. Maybe you didn't need any medical attention whilst you were covered by the E106?

Presumably, because France doesn't want to keep on paying for you if in fact you are entitled to be covered by the NHS. If the NHS refuses, France will know it has to keep covering you. But obviously if the NHS give you an S1, France will be very happy to be able to reclaim the costs.

It makes no difference to you, you are covered either way, but it makes a difference to France whether they have to pay for you or not..