Moving to France with a Disability - Health cover?

gattim

My wife had a stroke last August  - brain haemorrhage which has left her quite immobile.

As such she cannot work and I am looking after her - I am self employed but now not able to earn what I used to.

We are looking to relocate to France if we can as we have equity to release.

We could both take pensions (Linda's is teachers, mine is a SIPP) and live reasonably (but not enough to live in the UK without being extremely frugal)

I am 61 this year, Linda 60.

Linda already gets ESA (support group/contribution based) and the higher rate mobility componenet of PIP as well as the daily living component of PIP - we are challenging the assessment as we think she should be receiving higher rate

My understanding is that we would not normally qualify for automatic entry into the French Health System as we are too young and , whiclt I could potentially work from France, we wouldn't necessarily want to register as Auto Entrepreneurs.

We cannot get full health insurance due to Linda's condition.

I notice that the list of ALDs in France includes as Number 1 :- 'Disabling stroke' - however it appears you have to be assessed in France for this condition and we wouldn't want to relocate before knowing if we could get health cover (and without insurance that has to be the French Health System)

(I did enquire of the DWP in Newcastelt about S1 and they said they now only took applications for S1 a MAXIMUM of 4 weeks before relocation - so tough if you dont qualify, or they change the rules once you've made all other arrangements)

I am finding it very difficult to assess what our 'status' is - I know there are certain benefits that are transferrable but I don;'t know if this means we get automatyic exemption via the ALD state without having to relocate to France first!

Tbis also has ramifications for me as if Linda is coivered then I understand I would be too - but ALD implies only covering an induvudual for the exact ALD illness - but surely that would be under the Health System?? i.e. a Carte Vitale for Linda and hence one for me too?

Any advice or knowledge gratefully received!!

Thanks very much

An S1 will only last a maximum of 2.5 years after which you will have to take out full comprehensive private cover which will, given the circumstances, be next to impossible, until you have been here for 5 years.

ALD's are only applicable if you are affiliated to the French health system and only to the individual.

You cannot work from France without it being through AE or another business regime.

On the face of it your plan is a non starter.

Sorry

Firstly would France really be a cheaper place to live? I lived in France for a long time and when I visit my son, I find many things very expensive and all my french friends complain about price increases on 'everything'!

Also you would not only need health insurance for yourself but even if your wife got an ALD, she would not be covered for other than 'her' illness and would need health insurance, if you could get it for the rest of her health care and I doubt it would not be cheap for you, or her.

And working, how would that work? If you became a registered french business then you would be in the french health care system as would your wife. But do not take starting a business in France lightly and a business in France depends on where you do the work. Sounds like you could hardly leave your wife in France whilst you went back to the UK to work.

I still, when I go and see my son and friends, don't find France particularly 'handicapped' friendly especially where access is concerned, maybe that is just my part of the Rhone Alpes, but I doubt it would be classed as a priority in many other regions, especially with the cut backs, because they are also hitting France.

Bascially I do not think that France is a cheap place to live or handicapped friendly. And remember that many places in France can get very cold during the winter, and you would hardly be saving on heating bills.

There is a special S1 form which is associated with being in receipt of the ESA. As far as I know it does have some connection with NI contributions, but is not the same as the "residual" S1 form which only lasts up to 2.5 years (which AnOther mentions).

I believe there is a separate office which deals with these forms which may be this one:

Working Age Group Incapacity Benefit team on 0191 21 87644 (Monday to Friday 8amā€“5pm).

It is difficult to know the latest situation as it does seem to change regularly.

I would, regrettably, agree with ANO and Idun. Please, think very carefully about it before doing anything. All the more so if by any chance your French is a bit sketchy, and if you are considering "releasing equity" by selling up in the UK in order to have some savings in France. I suspect that you will find your savings slowly eroding and if you've nothing to go back to in the UK, you could be stuck.

France is not a particularly disability-friendly country, to its discredit, and you could well find yourselves having to live even more frugally there, despite your released equity.

Sorry but I also feel it's very risky. Firstly healthcare: you might qualify for healthcare from the UK or you might not, ditto France, and neither will commit themselves until after you have committed yourself. Secondly the exchange rate: if all your income and savings are going to be in sterling and if budget is an issue, you're taking a huge gamble - the exchange rate could work in your favour but equally it could swing the other way and leave you with a fraction of your income in real terms. Plus as others have said, although houses in France are cheap to buy this is compensated to some extent at least by the generally higher cost of living, and with the French economy in the state it's in, we can expect the government to keep pushing taxes up all round until people say That's Enough, No More - though I think we're pretty much at that stage already.

All these factors are out of your control which leaves you vulnerable. In the UK you know the score and you might feel there's room for improvement but what if you burn your bridges and then neither France nor the UK wants to pick up the tab for your healthcare, or the Ā£/ā‚¬ tips in our direction and ends up 1/1 or less, or property taxes double, or Hollande thinks up a brand new tax.

Don't underestimate the value of totally free NHS treatment - it's very easy to take it for granted, but the truth is you won't get it anywhere else so think carefully before you throw it away.

[quote user="Patf"]If Linda is 60 surely she will qualify for an OAP soon...[/quote]

Depends on your definition of "soon", Pat. I know a 60-year old who whose state retirement age is now a few months short of her 66th birthday.

I'm with everyone else on this: housing may be cheaper in France but everything else is the same or more expensive. With the challenges you and your wife have in your lives, think carefully before adding a country move to the list - which, in itself, is not a cheap thing to do anyway.

It is a different culture with quite different ways of doing things and different mindsets. Taking your wife out of the NHS and the support network you may have of family, friends, care workers and moving to a system you don't understand and which is in a foreign language (even if you both speak French very well) could be quite demoralising for you both, I think.

All the traipsing around various state offices with bits of paper that they've seen before and lost is just about tolerable and even a bit amusing if you're in good health and can maintain a sense of humour; to be taking that on single-handedly while caring for someone wouldn't be an enhancement of anyone's life -  in my opinion but of course I don't know you or your wife or your home life.

If there's any way you can downsize in the UK to release your equity, I think that would be better; I don't believe France (or probably any country) is a direct 'solution' to a problem. We usually take ourselves and our troubles with us.

Oh dear [:'(] I didn't realise it had already started to be delayed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/181343/spa-timetable.pdf

Seems like she might have to wait until 66 too.

I believe that she would be entitled to an on-going S1 as she's in receipt of ESA. This would cover both of you but can be withdrawn if a medical examination finds her fit for work. Presumably that is unfortunately unlikely.

We find living costs broadly similar in France to the UK, plus you'd have (hopefully) pretty good pensions to live on.

I think the difficulty would be starting again in a new place with no support network, especially if not reasonably competent in speaking French. How about renting a house for 4 - 5 months to see how you find it?

Hi, as a disabled person in the ESA support group, my E121 now the S1 is marked 'invalid'.Issued by DWP Newcastle International Pension Centre Medical Benefits. This was presented to CPAM who issued me a carte vitale 'regimer exempt'. With this you get 100% cover, except blue lable medicines and the 50cents on each box of medicine. Which is the same cover as a disabled French person under retirement age who is unable to work. Your partner may be able to piggy back your carte vitale but they only get the normal 70% cover. 100% for any ALDs via your french Doctor and top up insurance if required.

One thing to bear in mind the DWP do still call you for medicals, carried out by CPAM on behalf of the DWP. So the S1 entitlement can be withdrawn.

You need to speak to the Medical Benefits team at Newcastle to check your entitlements.

Hope this helps.

I concur with previous posters in that in my area of France it is not at all disabled access friendly by comparison to the UK and USA. I am not sure why this is, but suspect it maybe down to France not having introduced the same level of legislation requiring disabled access for all.

As for the cost of living in France it definitely is not cheaper than the UK , especially as the Ā£ is still well below its strength against the euro when it was introduced.

Another consideration is that if something happened to you, would your wife be able to cope in France on her own?

• 1 month later...
I would like to point out that last year our maire has been extensively modified to comply with the new European legislation that comes in very shortly and is now completely disabled access friendly. I believe this comes into effect next year.

[quote user="Mr Wiggy"]I would like to point out that last year our maire has been extensively modified to comply with the new European legislation that comes in very shortly and is now completely disabled access friendly. I believe this comes into effect next year.[/quote]

Our maire promised a lift 2 years ago, and work started on it just before we left earlier this year - hope it's been completed by now.

Can only concur about the cost of living in France. Perhaps if the pound went up to 1.50 euros then it would be cheaper but may never get there again.

Have a look at:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business/market_data/currency/11/13/twelve_month.stm

to see how the exchange fluctuates and remember a couple of years back it was virtual parity.

But the exchange rate only affects the cost of living if your income is in the wrong currency.

If the Ā£ went up to 1,50ā‚¬ (heaven forfend) it would not alter the cost of living in France for those of us who earn in ā‚¬ā‚¬ā‚¬, but it would make trips back to the UK blinking expensive.

[quote user="Mr Wiggy"]I would like to point out that last year our maire has been extensively modified to comply with the new European legislation that comes in very shortly and is now completely disabled access friendly. I believe this comes into effect next year.[/quote]

Our Mairie built a beautiful ramp up to the very steep step, add to that the handle for the door into the mairie is big old and heavy and the handle is high. So anyone in a chair still cannot get in and the bell to get help is high up too! I'll have to ask friends if any of it has been improved since I was last there.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]I must admit I'd stopped following this thread, but having read the typo, I'm  howling now [:D]

[/quote]

Our lovely old maire has retired and I suppose you could call the new one a bit of a revamp.

But, alas, the building itself keeps its old, rather unattractive  appearance.  I often drive past mairies that are lovely old stone buildings and I then wish ours wasn't so modern and plain.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]I must admit I'd stopped following this thread, but having read the typo, I'm  howling now [:D]
[/quote]

Had to look for it but it wasnt a dissapointment, I am drooling at the thought of our Maire (whom I dislike) being accessed by a disabled person, preferably a very large muscly one of the same gender[:D]

ET wrote 'But the exchange rate only affects the cost of living if your income is in the wrong currency.

If the Ā£ went up to 1,50ā‚¬ (heaven forfend) it would not alter the cost of living in France for those of us who earn in ā‚¬ā‚¬ā‚¬, but it would make trips back to the UK blinking expensive. '

I responded about exchange rates because the OP stated that they could both take UK pensions - therefore exchange rates are VERY important to them.

Looked at the profile for the OP and found out they have never visited the forum since their initial and only post!

Have started to do this with new members before responding to their questions if more than a few days old, as this seems to happen surprisingly frequently.

They may have forgotten they ever posted here. Or just don't bother to thank people for answering questions.

It's not just about the OP, though - other people may find the information useful if they're searching tinterweb. Or even current members may find the information of interest and of later use. So I think it's still worth responding to questions... though probably not worth putting in hours of research! [:D]