Lazer eye surgery

johnycarper

When I was in the US a couple of years ago, I had a torn retina.

All repaired by several sessions of laser surgery at a pretty large eye hospital.

Oddly, there were many ophthalmologists who wore glasses.

They presumably steered away from laser treatment despite there being a laser sight corrective department there.

In certain circumstances you can correct your eyesight yourself. We have the book written by a US doctor called Bates, "Better eyesight without glasses" and the pin hole 'glasses' to go with it. The 'glasses' really work and the method does too a hell of a lot of the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method

This is the book and I believe it's a very good investment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Better-Eyesight-without-Glasses-Bates/dp/812220449X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411376279&sr=1-1&keywords=better+eyesight+without+glasses

More info here

https://www.google.fr/search?q=better+eyesight+withour+glasses&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=yOQfVLv2D8XM8gOv8YDwBA

Seeya later!!

[quote user="johnycarper"]Funny the more I think of it the more I wonder why you see so many opticians wearing glasses I am starting to go off the idea.[/quote]

I think you are getting to the right conclusion.

Anyway, I thought that glasses make you look "intelligent".....................I mean even if you aren't!  Oops sorry, I mean they make you look more intelligent.................oops, I mean, well, you get my meaning, don't you???

It's a very interesting book Wooly.

Thinking about keyhole surgery. Why would anyone want to try to do any surgry through a door [8-)]

As for diplomacy, I was under the impression that SWMBO had to be obeyed, whatever the command. A bit like the old democracy in Eastern Germany?

My husband who is wont to give all these alternatives a try, tried this DIY fixing your eyes through excersize. Did not help, hence the laser eye surgery, and that has worn off sooner than I imagined it would.

Last time I was in France and staying with my best friend, she tried to get me to drink this stuff that looked like pond water, and from a very unsavoury pond. She swore it would do my arthritis good. I suggested she tried it on my OH, as over the years it seems he will give most things a go...... and one fine day, when one of these things REALLY WORK! I'll start giving them a try too.

I might have given laser eye surgery a go, IF it had lasted longer, but I won't and am happy enough with my glasses. I have a great optician now, great glasses and he doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

I've been out of the optical business for nearly 30 years so I have no doubt that things have moved on since then, however, I remember thinking then that evolution has made the Cornea a certain thickness for a reason. Thinning it did not seem like a good idea to me at that time. I realise that evolution is not perfect (hence our appendix) but I'm still sticking with glasses (even though I have to pay full price these days)

Oh, I should probably have talked techie for a moment. If I remember correctly, the time it last depends on how the person, I doubt very much whether the Laser thinning will alter that, it is not a treatment for long, short or even old, sight, it's is a correction for how the eye is now.

Having been very short sighted all my life, I would have loved to have seen properly without glasses, but thought the risks of operations not worth the possibility of loosing what I still had.  As it happened, 2 years ago I did get to the stage where I  needed operating for cataracts, which is an entirely different operation from that of laser surgery to re-shape the eye, and as many on this forum will know the ops were very successful and I have immensely improved vision because of them, but am still slightly myopic and still need glasses for detailed work, but I'm very happy that I don't have to use my glasses all the time.

However, not only was my surgeon (in France) reluctant to operate until he really had to do, I agreed with him, better to keep what I had until I really could not see any more.  Any operation carries a risk, so why undergo one just for vanity?  If needed, yes, but not unless absolutely necessary, would be my advice.

I had  cataract surgery following a succession of detached retinas, most of them post operative, I now have an artificial cristallin lens in that eye (a necessary part of the procedure) and the opthalmo judged it perfectly as it is now really myopic but means that I can work and read without glasses, I really dont know how they worked out the correct diopter as I was completely blind in the eye until after the final secondary cataract op.

My remaining "good eye" was of course presbyte with age but thanks to the implant I dont need reading glasses, the left eye works for close and the right eye for distance and anything beyond arms length.

The good eye is now deteriorating but with long sightedness, in the last year its gone from + 0.5 to +1 which with the other eye being a - 1 makes for some confused opthalmos.

I cant consider laser until it stabilises if it ever will, I get superb designer semi-rimless glasses from Goggle4U for only $6.50 so even having had to order 3 pairs twice over in the last year its not too costly, French friends are paying €400 for similar ones, or at least the Secu and their mutuelle is.

I did a contact lens trial last time I was back in the UK and found the one day disposable ones to be superb and for me at least really comfortable, they said to wear them for no more than 2 hours the first day gradually working up to 8 hours by the end of the week, I had them in for 12 hours as I drove back to France that day and had no discomfort but after all the eye operations I am not squeamish any more which is something that you cannot be with contact lenses.

I say them but its actually only one lens that I need to wear to give me corrected mono-vision (one eye for close the other for long) they did however choose a diopter too strong as beyond 20m I see two white lines on the road and ghosting on everything, hope to cure that next month.