Cancer Treatment in France

Grecian

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks NormanH.

It really helps knowing you are a fighter and survivor. For me your experience has helped many times when I have been looking for answers.

Hoping to get definitive response about travel from secu today. Will update soonest.

Sun is shining in Toulouse, always cheers me up.

I am sure you have the right to transport, just that there is the question of a prior agreement (l'entente préable).

In the present economic climate things that used to be rather easy-going have been tightened up, but it doesn't change your basic rights.

Just to say I will be leaving home Monday morning at 5.30am for a 8.30am appointment at Bordeaux for a day of scans, tests, appointments with various people and I think a shave of the nether regions[:-))]. I do not think that there is any wi-fi at the hospital so I will be offline for at least a week, hopefully I will still be around to update you on my operation sometime after that. Not sure what time the operation is booked for on Tuesday, I have not asked as I am not sure if I really want to know, just wait for them to come and wheel me away.

I have come a long way since I started this thread on the 20th October last year, a very large part of that has been down to you very kind people out there with all the support, advice and best wishes you have given me, it has really helped me get through this nightmare scenario I find myself in. When I started this thread I did not really intend to turn it into a blog type situation, I was only seeking help as to how the whole system worked in France when it came to treating cancer, and I am really glad that I started the thread as I really do not think I could have coped with all the stress, hassle and bureaucracy I have faced to get this far. If this thread only helps one other person out there who may be facing a similar situation at the moment or some time in the future, but does not wish to post their personal life for the whole world to read, then it will have all been worth it.

So folks I hope to be reporting back at a latter date, for now I just want to say a big thank you.

Yes Grecian all the very best for your opp, taking a big deep breath here, I remember how I felt at the point you are at now  but 5 years later still here  (don't all of you cheer at once)  Remember to take your password, surely most hospitals have internet these days.

Will raise a glass when we hear from you post opp, all the best!

Very best of luck Grecian for your op.

I know that we in France are very lucky and receive excellent treatment, but it can be hard when faced with speaking a foreign language, however, I do feel that the French Medical Staff appreciate helping Brits in hospital as we can be less demanding (the old stiff upper lip and all that). On the other hand do not be afraid to ask for help, whether it be for pain control or something as simple as putting your socks on, in my experience staff have always been happy to help.

I am home now (albeit with drain still in situ) but glad to be back in my own environment. I look forward to hearing from you when you come out the other side.

Bon Courage and Bon sante.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately still in hospital, it has turned into a complete nightmare.

Had my op on Tuesday 17th, it was carried out via keyhole surgery, was told there were no problems, great I thought. By midday Wednesday was having severe abdominal pains, by 3am Thursday morning I had to insist to see a doctor, one showed up about 15 mins later and declared I had internal bleeding. Was rushed down for an emergency op at 4am. Have spent 5 days in intensive care, now back on ordinary ward.

Had no food since coming in, they tried feeding me Thursday, only for it to make me puke it all up again yesterday. Now had a tube down my throat, with no immediate prospect of it being removed. Lowest I have ever been in my life. Sorry keying is a bit disjointed, very weak.

Dear Grecian, so sorry to hear that you've had complications. Of course you're going to feel weak and very down, you've had your operation to start with, and you've been in awful pain and you're lacking in nourishment. You've probably been very scared too, plus concerned about your wife.

You're back on an ordinary ward, and have a tube in, so it sounds as though everything is moving in the right direction now, after that awful time. You need lots of rest and TLC and it will take time for you to start to feel stronger. I hope your wife has had support from CSF or elsewhere, as she will have been very frightened and concerned about you.

Try to just lie back and rest and remember that many here are wishing you all the very best.

Oh dear Grecian

Things must seem so hard at the moment.  It is so disappointing when there are setbacks after surgery and doubly so when you are unable to eat. I am sure you do not want to hear the usual platitudes, but just remember,  you are in the best place to resolve this issue but sadly I think it is going to take longer than you anticipated.  When you do start to recover though things usually progress in leaps and bounds.

I too feel a little low, I had my drain removed 13 days ago and at the moment am having to travel to Toulouse at least twice a week to have manual aspiration on both sides!!  Hey, ho, at some point it will ease off I'm sure, and if it wasn't for the journey the procedure itself is fairly simple.  My friends and family are saying they always knew I was a little "Bl**der"....

I do hope things will improve for you very soon, and send my very best wishes to you for a speedier recovery.  Best wishes to Mrs Grecian too, of course.

I was getting concerned we hadn't heard and now I see why, trussed up like turkey and tubes in everywhere and hungry to boot, no wonder you feel low. It can't get worse so it's all going to be better from now and I don't know if you are mobile yet but try to get up if that's what they allow. The chap in the next bed to me didn't despite the doctors and nurses trying to get him moving he wouldn't and suffered sickness after every meal as it sat on his stomach but couldn't get to where it needed to. It's a big shock for your system so take it easy. My heart goes out to you, keep positive and keep in touch.

If you are able to move about you are making great progress.[:)]

I know what you mean about the low point....I spent several days after going back on the ward throwing up everything and it was the same disgusting greenish colour as the stuff in the stoma bag [:-))]

Believe me once you can move and they get the drains out you are on the mend.

Still in hospital unfortunately. They have found a blockage in the bowel preventing things to pass normally. Monday they injected a bottle of glupe in via the tube up my nose to try and clear the blockage. An x-ray showed things were moving a little better, but unfortunately not enough to allow me to eat, another operation has been muted, but they seem confident that it will cleat itself, I bloody hope so.

The tube up my nose has been removed thank goodness, and I have not been sick again since the week-end. That really has cheered me up.

The best piece of news I have received is that the biopsy result came back negative, showing no spread into the lymph nodes, so no further chemo needed.[:D][:D][:D]

Overall a lot happier, but bloody starving, no food for a fortnight! I rather they wait and get things right than try to rush things, so will just have to stay for as long as it takes.

Hey, Grecian that's a bit like one of those good news/bad news stories!

The not so good news about a blockage and possible extra op is definitely a bit of a pain for you, to say the least.

But the news about clear lymph nodes and therefore no extra chemo is truly excellent.

Sorry to hear you're so hungry, but when you're home and getting back to normal you'll look back on it all as a dream - maybe a nightmare I suppose!

Sorry you'll miss out on the Easter eggs, although maybe not the best things to dream about!

Take care and best wishes to Mrs G too.

Sorry about the blockage, it must be so uncomfortable as you wait it out but REALLY excellent news about the clear lymph nodes! You and your wife must be so relieved.

Best wishes to both of you from me too.