Joining the CMU

dexter

I'm an early retiree in receipt of a UK government pension with no other source of income. I have lived here in France for 5 years and have always had health cover by way of private health insurance.

I have all the paperwork in front of me to make an application to join the CMU, however, I am confused as to the amount of social charges I would be expected to pay. Is it 8% of my pension? If that is the case then a quick calculation on that figure and then including top up insurance would push the cost of belonging to the CMU higher than my private policy.

Have I missed something here? If not and that is the case, then can anyone see any advantages to actually continuing with my application?

Dexter

Don't forget to factor in that the CMU gives you the same cover as a French person, i.e 70% of cover on some things and less on others.

You might decide you need a top-up as well.

If your private insurance gives you 100% that has to be taken into account.

On the other hand for serious long-term illnesses such as diabetes or cancer you would be covered at 100% by the CMU, whereas a PHI may start to give problems..

I think the 8% is for health contribution, and social charges is something else. Not sure.

And there's an allowance of about 10.000€ , for each person, of your  total income for tax purposes before the 8% calculation

Dexter wrote : however, I am confused as to the amount of social charges I would be expected to pay. Is it 8% of my pension?

You are confusing social charges - charged at approx 15.6% on unearned income ie bank interest etc - with 'cotisations' which are usually paid to URSSAF. They are the payment collecting side of CPAM, which gives you your carte vitale.

And yes there is an allowance of approx 9500€ before charges start to be paid.

Plus your payments are tax deductible via a specific line on your 2042 tax form.

And you might need a top-up, but that is a personal choice dependent on your circumstances.

Sue

Thanks for everyone's prompt reply's, confusion and me go hand in hand these days or so it seems!

I hadn't even considered the allowance in my sums so that changes things slightly more in favour of CMU.

I'll get my neighbor to give my forms the once over and then get them submitted.

Dexter

You will find that the CMU does not exist anymore under that name, its now "La protection universelle maladie"

or PUM. We have been with the CMU (paying 8% of my pension after the allowance has been deducted) for about 18 years. We are still under the CMU old system although we have paid nothing so far this year as they are still sorting out the PUM system.

http://www.ameli.fr/assures/droits-et-demarches/la-protection-universelle-maladie.php

The cost is 8% of your RFR after the deduction of the allowance (~9600) so if you have other income apart from your pension this would be included. Have a look on your last tax form (Avis) to find your RFR, then you can do an exact calculation. Also, get quotes for top-up insurances. Full private healthcare CAN work out cheaper than PUMA + Top-up, depending on your income and circumstances.

Thanks for that I'do a bit more research, also, when I showed my dossier, (that's the only way I can describe it, given the amount of documents required) to my neighbor yesterday she pointed out that I hadn't got a letter from the Mayor confirming that I actually live here! Don't know how I missed that. At least it's only the Mayor and not the President!

Dexter

We normally pay our 8% of earned income (overseas) and haven't paid anything either this year.

I've stopped worrying about it now as I am sure that next year they will, unfortunately, ask for 2016 and 2017 - so advice to self, don't spend but save the money :) otherwise will be slapped with a huge bill next year.

[quote user="dexter"]... my neighbor yesterday, she pointed out that I hadn't got a letter from the Mayor confirming that I actually live here! [/quote]

In all my 11 years here I have not heard of that and have certainly never been in possession of such a document. And we have moved communes, hence Maires, and had dealings with both Mairies so I am sure I would have been provided with one if one had been needed here.

Perhaps this is another one of those things when it all depends on which département you live in.

Sue

When I had a 'titre de séjour' that came from the Préfecture, and is administered by the Police, and in my present village flat I went to the Mairie and asked if they needed to know about me and got a cheerful "No", so I don't know where the idea that you need anything from the Maire  comes from..

When we first arrived about 10 years ago we too went to the Mairie and were told thta they didn't need to know about us. Not did we have a carte de sejour or the like. I reckon that having been here permanently for 10 years, paid our bills and all taxes imposed etc should be sufficient to determine that we are residents. We also have our carte vitales dating back to that time.

Yes Mogs, no point spending the money because even if they don't come to you for it next year they might come the following year. It's a shame that you can't even earn any interest on the money these days...

I've not had access to the Internet this last week so this is the first opertunitiy I've had to respond to your posts. I think that as Sue suggested, this is a case of departmental difference, also the list of documents required that I was given appears to be a check list of someone who applied previously!

I've been here long enough to accept that the road to getting what you want is often strewn with potholes followed by boulders and then landslides!

Mr Mayor on holiday this week and August next week, still, at least the sun is shining.

Dexter

Where does this idea about a letter from the mayor come from - does it actually say that in as many words on the form, or is it your neighbour's own interpretation? Or, does the form simply suggest a letter from the mayor as an example of one of the many ways of proving residence? Certainly you do have to prove you are resident, but usually people meet this requirement by showing utility bills for the last 3 months, or a rental contract if they are tenants.

• 5 months later...