French health system

sueyh

I believe it's 8% of income remaining after allowances. I don't know the exact figure of the allowances, but it used to be 9-10000€ per person

https://www.french-property.com/guides/france/public-services/health/getting-health-cover/early-retirees/

If the link doesn't work Google

'France - joining PUMA'.

• 4 weeks later...
The system has changed and is now PUMA. I have not been able to find a definitive answer on what the contributions will be but they would seem to follow the old contribution method. Tho it has been rumoured that the contributions will only be on savings and investment income at 8% after the deductible. I doubt it somehow.

The collection will be done with the taxes by the fisc as with CSG, and based on your RFR. Which would mean it could be rolled into the monthly tax payment. Will have to wait till Sept to find out.

rgds JFB

[quote user="EuroTrash"]I don't know if you can pay monthly because I think it's like property taxes, the bills are sent out towards the end of the year and need paying quite soon because in effect you're already paying in arrears. It would be best to assume you can't and set the money aside.[/quote]If it is the same then monthly payments can only be made in advance, that is to say if you get a bill at the end of the year that is already in arrears so has to be paid in full but then you can pay monthly for the following year.

Yes it's possible you can pay monthly upfront, never heard of it though. But I believe URSSAF is still responsible for billing for healthcare so I don't see how it could be included in your income taxes. As I understand it, one difference with PUMA over CMU is that the tax office now automatically shares info with URSSAF so that people no longer have to fill in separate forms for tax and for healthcare, but it's still URSSAF that deals with healthcare cotisations. I don't think the actual calculation has changed but the first PUMA bills will be sent out towards the end of this year so no doubt we'll find out then, at the moment nobody seems exactly sure how it will be worked out.