Dental Care, information needed.

powerdesal

I need information.

My wife and I have never needed a dentist since coming to France but now.......

A serious accident has happened to the lower set of my wifes dentures, now totally unwearable. Of course it had to happen on Friday evening.

My question is can one go directly to a dental laboratory and get a new set made or do you have to go via a Dentist.

Any info will be very appreciated.

I cannot give any chapter and verse on this but I would have thought an emergency appointment with a dentist on Monday (cost max 50€) would be the best and probably quickest course.

He might also be able to effect a temporary repair at least leaving the OH with something until a replacement can be constructed.

I believe that the lab making the new appareil will need instructions from a dentist:

http://sante-medecine.journaldesfemmes.fr/faq/7757-prothese-dentaire-amovible-dentier

In any case that is likely too be the case if you need to claim for re-imbursement:

http://sante-medecine.journaldesfemmes.fr/contents/1147-protheses-dentaires-remboursement-par-la-securite-sociale

My Dad lost just one tooth from a denture and I telephoned a dental mechanic.  Non, non - you must see a dentist, we do not take jobs direct was the answer.

Luckily a friend had met and used an English dental mechanic working here in France and, having telephoned him, Dad took denture and tooth to him and it was repaired in a jiffy. He told us that in France (using a French d. m.) one always has to go via a dentist but that if Dad wanted a new denture he was quite happy to make one. Dad has since had a couple more  repairs.

Although no re-imbursement was available the English chap charges so much less than getting a denture via a dentist that it is still cheaper.

Mrs H.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 03/03/2018 at 12:52, powerdesal said:

I need information.

My wife and I have never needed a dentist since coming to France but now.......

A serious accident has happened to the lower set of my wifes dentures, now totally unwearable. Of course it had to happen on Friday evening.

My question is can one go directly to a dental laboratory and get a new set made or do you have to go via a Dentist.

Any info will be very appreciated.