Recipes and advice for Cancer patients

NormanH

To be fair thiere am not an Accountant but have worked in NHS Radiotherapy and Diagnostic departments as a Consultant Clinical Scientist throughout my career. I do know very knowledgeable Accountants though.

As my doctorate is not as a medical doctor I would not deign to offer very specific medical advice. However, the Cleveland Clinic is, indeed, a world leading centre for cancer research and treatment (though I do know Guys and St Thomas's better). On that basis, I would recommend their multi-disciplinary team comments need to be taken into consideration..

Also, to be fair, bicarb is stated as an alternative to salt on other sites as well - you must have got the idea from somewhere.. If it works then fine, but don't think that your treatment is the one and only! Give people the information and source and let them decide.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only fair to cut you some slack as your not an accountant and you dedicated your career to helping others.

What is amazing even in the corridors of the great hospitals is how little of some topics the Doctors know. The multi team can only recommend clinically trialed solutions. The solution offered to me cost the NHS £18 for 500ml, "It's very special we can't give it to everyone". "Do not use over the counter mouthwash they have alcohol in them".

I think I said this already, what did the expensive one have Alcohol + sugar. I don't have a Doctorate just a basic chemistry o'level but you do not give alcohol and sugar to yeast unless you want it to grow.  Can't someone in the NHS or NICE read the feckin bottle? Is there no sense left anywhere these days?

I am not sure where I got bicarb from but it has been in the medical cabinet for as long as I remember.  Out of ear shot the oncologist said, " Ican't recommend bicarb as it's not clinically trialed but it never will be as the drug cartels won't make a bean".

Why haven't the cancer charities paid for a trial? This could save the NHS a few bob.

Mint I have not tried this but if you have some petroleum jelly maybe that will soften the cracks or E45 cream, just a thought.

Someone else on here was suffering a couple of years back and their oncologist said bicarb mouth washes. How come the french recommend it but that news hasn't reached the UK?

Unfortunately whilst the cancer charities in the UK do fund research (well some do) others use cancer as the way of collecting and earning money and I really don't believe they would want a cure found.

Moving on, I just wanted to help Mint, I personally know how awful this situation is and if you can't eat properly the chemo has even worse effects as it debilitates even more. Mine cleared up from Friday to Monday morning and befuddled the oncology team.

TP, I know you want to help me and I do what I normally do when it comes to taking advice.  I listen to personal experience or read of personal experiences and base my decision on the probability of whether something sounds as if it would work.  You do soon know if something is working after all.

Indeed, like I have said, the bicarb is working fine and even the stinging is less as the tongue is not so swollen or riddled with ulcers.

I am likely to have at least 3 more months of this, maybe longer, so next time I will dilute the bicarb a bit more to begin with so that it's not so painful to use and then make the solution stronger as the pain lessens.

I agree completely about what you have said about clinical trials and drugs and indeed doctors.  I have read on the internet, for example, that turmeric is good for preventing or slowing down metastases but, of course, there are no large clinical trials so far.  Though there WAS an article about it in the BMJ by a doctor who wrote about a case where the patient was no longer having chemo but whose tumour decreased in size, the only difference being that she took large doses of turmeric daily.

Turmeric, like bicarb, is readily available and there wouldn't be vast sums to be made by drug companies.

And I know for a fact that whilst doctors are very good at treating diseases, they have very little knowledge of keeping people in good health because their studies do not include such sorts of information.

Indeed Mint, a friend of ours refused chemo having seen and lived with her husband through his.  She adopted turmeric plus many other things like v high doses of vitamin C given intravenously. We really tried to convince her to take chemo but she is alive and well and still enjoying all that life can bring 7 years later.

Off topic another NHS opportunity, I had a verruca for about 8 years, no amount of personal home freezing, gels or anything else did much. The 3 freezing treatment at the GP's clinic didn't do much either the swine just came back.  A friend told me to stick insulation tape on it, "bind it so it can't breath!" looked on the internet and this is done by a number of people. The verruca really suffered with the tape on it, (kept changing the tape after a 2-3 days) it would shrink to a tiny thing but wouldn't actually go.  I then tried again and when it had shrunk I made a foot bath of warm water and a couple of cap fulls of chlorine bleach (always have bleach for my pool work) purely because bleach kills bacteria and oxidises infections and virus.  One week after the foot baths it had gone completely and has never returned. 

Tried to explain it to a GP but he said using bleach causes necrosis and that was about the limit of his conversation on the matter. 

Hope that the bicarbonate is continuing to ease the ulcers mint, you certainly deserve to have some relief for all that you are suffering at the moment.

I see that you have mentioned turmeric, I started taking it as soon as I was diagnosed and have continued taking it everyday since. My wife is into the old homeopathic stuff in quite a big way and has asked me to advise you that turmeric is not absorbed by the body too well, and it is best to take specific capsules that are absorbed by the body more easily. I take Super Bio-Curcumin, 400 mg capsules, which can be purchased from lifeextensioneurope.com,

https://www.lifeextensioneurope.com/super-bio-curcumin-400-mg-60-vegetarian-capsules

The other one that she recommends is Curcusorb from naturesbest.co.uk

https://www.naturesbest.co.uk/herbs-spices/turmeric-curcumin/curcusorb-high-tech-turmeric/

Just to let you know the mobile charger is packed and raring to go, I rang the mobile today from our landline and the ringtone is the X-Files, as I have no idea how to change the ringtone I have decided to leave well alone, so I guess the X-Files it is.[:D]

Grecian, just want to wish you all the best for Monday and beyond[:)]

Bicarb working just fine and indeed no more pain from the ulcers except for those crusty ones on the corners of my mouth.  But now have not one but TWO infections so back on antibiotics.  On top of that, I have lost my voice entirely so it's quiet on the Dordogne front!

Please thank Mrs G for me and tell her that I do have turmeric capsules.  Apparently, it works best taken in conjunction with pepper.  So I take a slug of milk, grind some black pepper into it and wash the turmeric down with that. 

BTW, I can recommend the smoothies, green sludge or no!  However, couldn't quite bring myself to buy any kale after all because it just looks so thoroughly nasty and completely unappetising.  Bought some more spinach instead.  The drinks do give you a lift and I can recommend them....thank you, Teapot!

Sounds like good news to me Mint!  don't overdo it with the spinach, I ran out of kale when in france and couldn't find any so added more spinach, I am not flippin Popeye and nearly barfed it back up.

I have some news from friends on the turmeric potions, yes with pepper it releases more of something but it must be cooked/boiled with coconut to really work. Sketchy information at the moment but I will post when I have read the information from friends one who suffers badly with ulcerated colitis and uses it to help with that.

Mint don't forget to top up your gut bacteria with a good probiotic as the antibiotics undo the good gut bacteria to.

mint, thanks for your best wishes, off tomorrow under the knife again, I hope I have managed to pack everything that I need, definitely have the mobile packed after all of the hassle I have had in setting it up. No wi-fi at the hospital so will be offline for a while. Got to be at the hospital at 7am tomorrow.[:-))]

I hope that your infections have cleared up and the ulcers are continuing to heal, keep sprouting and drinking the green sludge, all the best.

Yes good fortune Grecian, although no internet in the hospital have you got a data allowance? If so you can still have a laugh at us all and join in if you feel like it. Sometimes you have to switch off the wifi connection on the phone for it work on the telephone data network.

My friends take golden milk each day to consume the turmeric, new one to me but that's how they take it. several similar ideas out there on the web.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2015/golden-milk-recipe-with-turmeric-and-virgin-coconut-oil/

Not sure it's really important have your coconuts harvested by Virgins but if you can afford it why not. [:)]

http://naturalsociety.com/cancer-doctor-explains-how-cooking-turmeric-health-benefits/

No, TP, the golden milk is a bit too OTT for me!  I want to look after myself the best I can but I don't relish being a health freak.

Strangely enough, I have seen a lot of curcuma roots sold, both in weekly markets and in the biocoop shop.  They look like smaller versions of fresh ginger roots.  I suppose you could grate them much as you would the ginger and add them to your cooking?

@Mint if you have a bio shop nearby ask them to order Kefir for you. Use it instead of regular yoghurt. I use it with muesli and 1/2 a banana for breakfast.

Kefir is a good probiotic. Can be used as a drink as well. Recommended by my Greek doctor, who also recommended Greek yoghurt, need I say more!

My in-laws recommend Turkish yoghurt, can't say anymore, only teasing, They featured Kefir on a program the other night and it sounds good, even seen it in supermarkets in the UK but I may be dubious of the supermarkets to provide a quality product.

I though I should add a note about the nutriblenders (all models) the plastic jugs tarnish after a while, they develop a hazy look and you'll think they are scratches.  To remove this and get back to shiny clear, I add a long soak in a medium solution of bleach. It may not look like anything is happening but it will slowly form a sludge at the bottom of the jug (8 hours+) and when you rinse away, all clean again.  Don't forget the sealing ring as nasty looking sludge builds up under the sealing rings.

I’ve had problems accessing the forum, so have been catching up - found this thread of great interest.

I have been thinking of buying a Nutribullet for health reasons, so having read your input, Teapot, I’ve put one on my Christmas list for our sons to buy for me - your wellbeing is impressive.

Thanks for the extra tips about cleaning under the seal well and for the removal of the hazy look that can develop.

Maybe you ought to be on commission! ?

TP, thanks for your rapid-response actions yesterday evening.

After reading about yucky seals and so on, I will try and find a glass traditional blender instead.  I'll make sure it's really powerful.

Cinders, do you remember 5-e?  She gave me the name of a lady who sent me some keffir culture.  Indeed I looked after my own keffir for months, then I left for the Compostelle and gave it to a friend to look after.  Well she couldn't have kept it going properly because, on my return, it had died the death.

I am going to look through my old diaries and address books and see if I could find the lady again.  She lived in the north of France and was a real sweetheart.

Back to TP:  I haven't missed a day of green sludge.  Give it to my OH as well and he reckons he feels less tired than normal.  I have found it fantastic for all the days when I can't chew and can't swallow properly.  I think of new green stuff for it.  At the moment, have been using blette leaves as I am out of spinach.  Might put in some broccoli sprigs next time.

Glad to pass on my snippets of info.

Mint, the glass ones have seals to and the build up happens on the glass as well, although of course you can scrub glass.

There is a book by David Woolfe + many others with recipes to follow.  Glad it's helping, I know results will vary.

I did contact Macmillan  and offer to speak at one of their group sessions for cancer patients, mainly bowel about my experience with the raw smoothy but they didn't seem interested (hence my comment about some charities.........)

It makes that much difference to my life. [:)]