The Pharmacist can now give the Flu Vaccination

NormanH

In the past you got the  vaccine from the Pharmacy, but had to have it done by a nurse or Doctor.
Now the Pharmacist can do this as long as he or she has been on the training course.

I have it every year. In March a friend of mine in America who had COPD died from flu which is a reminder that it isn't always a mild disease.

Indeed, NOT a mild disease.  OH was admitted to A and E as an emergency once on Christmas Day and stayed about 4 days attached to drips etc.

This year my "regular" nurse came to the house and gave it to both of us.  She does it on your bum so I'd rather undress in the house than at the pharmacie!

BUT I had to pay as I forgot the original injections carefully placed in an insulated pouch in my handbag and only found them  days later.....oops!

Itā€™s a very long time since I had a jab in my bottom, an anti-emetic after being ill for hours.

Our gp practice does hundreds each Saturday morning, all at the tops of arms, with everyone in the queue ready with sleeves rolled up.

Just imagine the scene with whole rows of bottoms sticking up ready, under 65s on one side, over-65s the other - easy to spot which row was which as the under-65s could probably bend lower than we oldies! ?

Given that you have already had to go to the Pharmacy to collect the syringe I don't see that it is 'much' simpler to then have to make a separate appointment, but  "horses for courses"
The Chemist has to provide a separate private space, and yes you do have to wait 15 minutes to check that you don't have an allergic reaction.
I have always had the injection either in the upper arm or, once in the shoulder blade.
Are you sure you aren't in the hands of someone with a bottom fetish mint ? [:D]

It is only an experimental service, being trialed in some regions:

Pour la campagne 2017-2018 : Auvergne RhƓne-Alpes et Nouvelle-Aquitaine

- Pour la campagne 2018-2019 : Auvergne RhƓne-Alpes, Nouvelle-Aquitaine, Hauts-de-France et Occitanie

http://www.ordre.pharmacien.fr/Le-pharmacien/Champs-d-activites/Experimentation-de-la-vaccination-a-l-officine

Is our household in a minority?

Every year we receive the invitation to participate in the 'annual jab' but routinely reject the offer.

Do you believe it works? Do you subscribe to the "I've had the jab and I didn't succumb to the flu virus, therefore it must work" theory or "At my age it's a necessity" theory or the "What the hell, it's free, so I'll take it" theory?

We've never indulged and have never succumbed to the virus...........yet!

cajal: Perhaps you should read the history of Spanish Flu 1918-1920 which has been estimated to have killed more than died in WWI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu ?

I remember having flu in the late 1960s (another pandemic) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_flu_pandemic A very unpleasant experience which I would not want to repeat.

from https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/

How effective is the flu vaccine?

Flu vaccine is the best protection we have against an unpredictable virus that can cause unpleasant illness in children and severe illness and death among at-risk groups, including older people, pregnant women and those with an underlying medical health condition.

Studies have shown that the flu vaccine will help prevent you getting the flu. It won't stop all flu viruses and the level of protection may vary, so it's not a 100% guarantee that you'll be flu-free, but if you do get flu after vaccination it's likely to be milder and shorter-lived than it would otherwise have been.

There is also evidence to suggest that the flu vaccine can reduce your risk of having a stroke.

Over time, protection from the injected flu vaccine gradually decreases and flu strains often change. So new flu vaccines are produced each year, which is why people advised to have the flu vaccine need it every year too.

Interesting links pomme. Thanks.

[quote user="pomme"]cajal: Perhaps you should read the history of Spanish Flu 1918-1920 which has been estimated to have killed more than died in WWI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu ?[/quote]

4% of the world's population actually. I see that and the 1968 - 71 pandemic as natures way of attempting to redress the earth's inbalances created by overpopulation. The fertility rate of Niger is currently standing at 7.1 children per women and increasing. The planet will be unable to sustain the overall population expansion and I expect it will be a global bout of a super-virus, like the flu, that will ultimately redress the balance between man/women and nature.

Oh, and I still won't bother with the jab. I'll just take my chances as I'm already overloading on prescribed pharmaceutical medical junk.

Cajal, youā€™re lucky that none of you have caught flu. My husband did quite a few years ago and was extremely ill, took a long time to fully recover, and he was a young, fit man. Many didnā€™t recover.

Are there separate flu jabs for under and over 65s this year, or us it only in the UK?

Whether you do or don't take the jab is of course your choice, but do bear in mind that if you were to contract a pandemic virus, you would be very capable of passing it on to other un-vaccinated individuals as well as helping to infect the 30 od percent of those who do get vaccinated but do not gain full immunity. A kind of murder (or involuntary homicide if you prefer) by proxy.

As for quoting the birth rate in Niger, that is a bit like me saying the Ford is going down the tubes because the sales of one particular model is dropping like a stone. The world birth rate is now beginning to fall

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46118103

They refer to fertility rate which I have problems with. Fertility can remain high, but actions taken can reduce the birth rate and that is what we are seeing.

[quote user="andyh4"].... you would be very capable of passing it on to other un-vaccinated individuals as well as helping to infect the 30 od percent of those who do get vaccinated but do not gain full immunity. A kind of murder (or involuntary homicide if you prefer) by proxy.[/quote]
That's life or through your eyes, death.

[quote user="andyh4"]As for quoting the birth rate in Niger, [/quote]

If you check the birth rate stats you will find that Niger holds the crown at # 1 on the list. It seemed a good reference point to me.

[quote user="andyh4"]The world birth rate is now beginning to fall

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46118103

They refer to fertility rate which I have problems with. Fertility can remain high, but actions taken can reduce the birth rate and that is what we are seeing.[/quote]

The words horse, stable, door and bolt all spring to mind.

I assume you've had a 'jab'