It is going to get hot - Be careful !

alittlebitfrench

It is going to get VERY hot this week. Especially in the SW.

For those over a certain age....please be careful.

One of our French Aunt's is in hospital linked to the heat.

Now, if you are trying to find a solution to cool down at night think about a ceiling fan.

We bought one for our bedroom (120 euros) which hangs above our bed.

It is fantastic. I can't believe how well it cools you. You are actually a bit chilly at night even when the room temperature is 30 degrees. Think hot beach but with a chilly wind.

Much better than air con.

Stay safe.

We bought a ceiling fan for our last few years in France. It helped that is for sure.

I bought one of those fans that you put water in for my son. He cannot use it, says it stinks the place out and I cannot work out how or why, but it has been a big waste of money.

Just the thought of  a heatwave fills me with dread. I remember all too well, a few we had but the worst was 2003, absolutely horrific for me.

Since we moved to cooler climes, my husband has suggested we holiday somewhere 'warmer', but I simply look at holidays in even cooler places, which would always  suit me much better.

I can personally take the heat, but above 32-34 degrees you do really have to stay inside.

40 degrees this week.....that scares me. Not just in terms of health but structural damage. These heat episodes are destroying buildings.

You know, one thing I miss most about the the UK is the weather. And green grass.

How many times have I read that people want to move to France for the weather.

You don't move to France for the weather.

I hate it when it gets too hot and do not cope with it at all.

A friend of mine keeps saying, bring it on, I can cope with anything at all, but she has never lived in a hot climate, and holidays are quite different to living in it. And when she is somewhere very hot, there is aircon in the hotels and she is not cooking and cleaning, or dealing with kids who are not coping either.

Hopefully it will only last a few days, and I wish one and all luck with it.

It has been hot for England this year, and this week end we are due to about 24 or 25 which will be just as much as I want to live with.

I have finally given in and switched on the air-conditioning  for the first time this year.

Up till now  I have been able to get by with open windows but closed shutters at night, opening everything about 7 am to let the cool morning air through the whole place then closing everything down from about 9 am, but when it gets over 35 as for the last 2 days (with up to 40 forcast) I let myself be tempted by  the air-con

A French friend of ours, who was a submariner, used the following technique to sleep cooler in a submarine with an internal temperature of 40° whilst moored in Africa. (This was a while ago, so no air-con on the boat)

We tried it last year - and it does work.

Dousing a towel in cold water, wringing it out and then draping it over yourself will bring your body temperature down.

With a standard fan blowing towards you, the effect is even better.

I can endorse that. As someone prone to heat exhaustion - even in UK! - I have come to rely on a similar remedy that my wife came up with.

Something cold and damp on the chest and forehead. Ice cubes if really bad but a soaked towel works well.

In the height of last summer's heatwave in central France I spent a lot of time lying almost naked on the tiled kitchen floor. (Try not to get too excited girls - or boys.)

Last year with very mixed feelings and for many different reasons we sold our house in Burgundy.

The one thing we won't miss is the stifling heat when temperatures reach 30 degrees plus. As ALBF says, it feels so much hotter without a sea breeze. We used to move our bed downstairs, keep the windows and shutters closed during the day and generally try to keep cool. The village was deserted as everyone stayed indoors and we could go days without seeing anyone.

The worst year was when the air con packed up in the car and it reached 40 degrees - what a nightmare!

[quote user="Gardian"]Surely none of this is surprising for those of us who live down here ?

Yes, a bit on the warm side, but ...........[/quote]

In our part of the Alpes in summer, we too often had some of the highest temperatures in France  and I NEVER ever said, 'bit on the warm side'. I hated those very hot summers.

In truth, it always amazes me as to how people can or cannot adapt to extreme heat.

I never did adapt, I did the best I could to cope, but that was all I ever did.

I find the cold far easier to deal with. Loved my winters in the Alpes even the spring and autumns were fine.

As ALBF posted this as a warning, I have done just the same, calling friends,  who were going to France when I knew that a canicule was forecast.  Seemed fair to warn them.

I have a nice little story to relate, about the heat.  Yes, there ARE happy stories even on this uncompromising subject.

This afternoon, OH and I went to do the shopping but in a town about half an hour away as the car needed a good run.  I was in a happy mood having been able to get mature Cheddar and a few packets of bread flour.

When we came home, I wanted to go straight down to the sous-sol to unload the shopping.  Got as far as the door and saw a hedgehog totally passed out in front of the wooden shutters. Eyes shut and completely inert.  OH said "I think the heat has got to it".

On the off chance, we got some cold water and poured some over its nose and then over its back to cool it down.  After several minutes, it opened its eyes and got on its feet.  It ran to a dark corner of the shaded area by the side of the door.

I went to get some of the food we'd bought for the homeless cats that visit us and put some cold water with the food.  Hedgie soon woke up and started to eat.

So tout va bien qui finit bien[:D]  And I hope our little friend lives happily ever after.....

[url]https://www.sudouest.fr/2020/06/24/coronavirus-et-pic-de-chaleur-quels-gestes-adopter-pour-bien-se-proteger-7593582-6110.php[/url]

Mostly commonsense but the section about aircon and fans might be worth bearing in mind.

Lori, you might like to know that during late evening, hedgie came back for more drink and food!  I told my little story so that others, finding dead-looking hedgehogs, might want to try our revival techniques without going so far as giving mouth-to-mouth or external cardiac massage!

Take great care, everyone......no good escaping the virus only to be knocked off by the heat[:-))]

Mint - I used to love watching them come around the house in Bédoin.  They would drive the dog crazy (we do miss our doggie so much - he passed away in 2012).  Glad your visitor survived. 

The heat is pretty bad.  Calling for 40 here in Sceaux today.  Also waiting for 80 to 90 km gusts and an orage with grel this evening !