Neosporin/Polysporin

Lori

Does anyone know if this product is sold in France?  It is a basic antibiotic pommade.  Something most households in the U.S. and Canada keep in the medicine box for any small scrapes or cuts.

I asked at one pharmacy, but she didn't seem to know about it.  It is readily sold in the U.S. and all of Canada in any pharmacy or grocery store without prescription.

I found Fucidine and have used that in the past, but it isn't the same thing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank you Norman.  That appears to be a U.S. company that ships worldwide.  I was hoping I could find it in France.  My Mom could send it to me from the U.S.  It only costs around $2 there.  So, those prices were crazy, but I do appreciate you posting it for me.

In general you will find many of the pharmaceutical products which are readily available in other countries are not available in France except from a pharmacy and often only on prescription.

I have just searched for neosporin and have found CHIBRO-CADRON suggested as a near equivalent antibiotic. But it seems it is only available on prescription https://tinyurl.com/y2y5gzvv

Lori wrote the following post at 24 Sep 2020 20:19:

Hard to believe that something so basic is impossible to find here.

I think the problem is more to do with how the US views antibiotics/pharma against how Europe views antibiotics usage.

Here's a quote about your choice of pommade ..

Neosporin in the most popular OTC topical antibacterial medication in America. It is very popular, and very profitable for Johnson & Johnson, but they don't tell you that people who use it repeatedly can develop a contact dermatitis (like poison ivy reaction) from its use.

Edit :

Neosporin and Polysporin

Two of its main ingredients, bacitracin zinc and gramicidin, are highly allergenic... Skin is very sensitive, and people can develop an allergy to bacitracin zinc and gramicidin slowly, over time, and they might not even notice.

Thanks Wooly and Sue and everyone.

I imagine customs is, in fact, very suspicious of anything appearing to be medicine related, even vitamins. 

Sue: I have never read anything like that.  Though, I have to say I rarely use the product.  But, when you do need it, it works a treat.  I have had some dental surgery this week and the corner of my mouth is a bit raw.  A tiny pin drop of Neosporin at night really helps heal the area.

It is just something I like to keep in the medicine cabinet.  Kinda like Hydrocortisone, which we can find here with no problem.