Confinement and Christmas

mint

Let me guess..

You can't go skiing. Or skiing in another EU country if you are French. Welcome to the EU.

You can only go to Church if there are less than 30 wise men wearing masks.

You can't have more than 6 people for xmas dinner. That includes the turkey. Foie Gras is fine. You can have as much as you like.

You CAN go shopping nose to tail with thousands of other people in any shop owned by familale mulliez...but not in a local independent shop.

You can freely riot and smash up Paris and attack the police.

Kids must go to school over Christmas to protect Santa.

But, as they were summonsed for a census, they could  have travelled furnished with an attestation saying they were travelling for :

"convocations judiciares ou administratives et déplacements pour se rendre dans un service public."

or even

"participation à des missions d'intérêt général sur demande de l'autorité administrative."

[;-)]

I have spent many a christmas day and revillon on my own. Husband worked shifts and in all those years in France we only went to see the family two or three times.

OK not alone when the kids were young and growing up, but lots of christmases (sp) and new years. And my kids were used to 'just' me there when they were young.

Feels like a lot of fuss about little.  Don't get me wrong, I love company and entertain a lot. But I don't need a 'day' for these things.

This whole confinement thing has not been a problem for me really.  I don't think I could have lived abroad so long if I was not at peace with my own company. 

My time of reflection was about those close to me who I had lost and not to covid either. I suppose that I am at that age when we lose friends, but these were not 'old'.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Unless you are religious or have kids I don't see the point of Christmas. [/quote]

I could certainly live without it, but I am not a religious person.  I'm also one who thinks Thanksgiving is silly. 

I do all the decorations and prepare the feasts and go with the flow as my husband and daughter seem to enjoy it. 

Did manage to get a beautiful Christmas tree at the local market yesterday.  Bought lights from Ikea.  Bought lots of extra tree greenery branches for decoration.  It looks really pretty so at least there is that to enjoy.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Let me guess..

You can't go skiing. Or skiing in another EU country if you are French. Welcome to the EU.

You can only go to Church if there are less than 30 wise men wearing masks.

You can't have more than 6 people for xmas dinner. That includes the turkey. Foie Gras is fine. You can have as much as you like.

You CAN go shopping nose to tail with thousands of other people in any shop owned by familale mulliez...but not in a local independent shop.

You can freely riot and smash up Paris and attack the police.

Kids must go to school over Christmas to protect Santa.[/quote]

ALBT, I wish you were writing Castex's speech.  I think many of the French people will really like it[:D] 

I agree with idun, and was rather looking forward to Christmas on my own this year, as an excuse to stay in bed with a good book and a glass of Buck's Fizz.

However, my less-than-exciting cousin has now accepted my lukewarm invitation to come and stay, so I shall have to get back into hostess mode...

[quote user="NormanH"]That would have made the original Christmas difficult. Mary and Joseph wouldn't even have been able to travel to Bethlehem, never mind not being able to find accommodation..

[/quote]

And that could have saved a whole heap of trouble, wars, terrorism, murder etc.

The fact the carpenter was born in September??

Touch wood, my Xmas has been saved. My daughter and grandson can come, they can’t stop her. That is the opinion of a seniot commissaire de police and a judge ( they are friends and former neighbours of hers).

But they will have to go back on Boxing day so they can quarantine and boyo wont miss more than a day of school.