New European Health Card (EHIC)

nomoss

I originally posted a link I had just received from the UK NHS regarding a new, post-Brexit EHIC for those Brits (with S1's) who have to get theirs from the UK and not from France.

I posted it on this and other forums, and immediately a troll contradicted what I had posted, implying I was posting false information, and posted out of date "alternative information".

I decided that it wasn't worth arguing, and that offering information which creates arguments and confusion does more harm than good. So I erased my posts on all the forums.

I'm sure people here who need the information can find it themselves.

Thank you for this. The short link to the NHS EHIC application web site is https://tinyurl.com/ycapseku

Unfortunately my application was rejected as it seems CPAM has not registered their acceptance of my S1 with Newcastle.

It wasn't obvious, at a quick look on Ameli, who to contact?

[quote user="NormanH"]
Difficult to understand why non-Europeans would have access to a  European heath card.

Are they going to be offered to all and sundry now?

[/quote]

UK pensioners here have had to get their EHIC from the UK since about 2010.

It seems to be mainly for people already resident or studying in the EU before Brexit.
Details of those eligible are in the link which pomme provided, where there is a note "For most people, EHIC may not be valid from 1 January 2021", and on the page reached via the "Apply for your new EHIC".

The person who contradicted my post on another forum is someone who likes to be the first to come up with exclusive information and thinks he has a position to maintain. He's welcome.

[quote user="pomme"]Thank you for this. The short link to the NHS EHIC application web site is https://tinyurl.com/ycapseku

Unfortunately my application was rejected as it seems CPAM has not registered their acceptance of my S1 with Newcastle.

It wasn't obvious, at a quick look on Ameli, who to contact?[/quote]

I contacted the Ameli English help line +33 (0)974 75 36 46 They contacted my local CPAM who telephoned me and said they would tell Newcastle my S1 had been registered in France.

• 1 month later...
My wife and I applied for the new cards on Nov 9th, the day I started this topic.

She received her new card yesterday. It has "UK" superimposed on a Union flag in the top RH corner and is valid for 5 years from the date we applied.

My card has not yet appeared.

I applied on 13 Nov for both of us.  I already had an EHIC, I do the bulk of the travelling, or did, in our family, and my replacement arrived yesterday.  As you say, 5 yrs, UK imposed etc .. no idea when hubby's will come, I don't think he had one before, though his S1 is definitely registered, no doubt it will come in due course.  As none of us can really travel at the moment, doesn't sem to be too much to worry about ..

• 1 month later...
People will argue about anything! I received my card from the U.K. some time ago. I was also inundated with people telling me I should have got one via CPAM. I stopped arguing with them, totally pointless. The card works if from CPAM or the U.K. in any event.

I received mine a day or two after my wife received hers.

Like hers, it is similar to the old EHIC, still titled "EUROPEAN HEALTH INSURANCE CARD", and has a hologram of a Union flag in place of the "UK" surrounded by the EU star circle emblem used on the old cards.

It's not at all like the GHIC pictured on page 9 of THE BUGLE

Nomoss, I haven't seen the Bugle before, is it a "misinformation" magazine like the Connexion ? !! By which I mean they give partial truths, without checking properly. It's very annoying.

The GHIC is completely irrelevant as far as UK citizens resident in France are concerned; it isn't worth mentioning it and only manages to confuse everyone. I don't think anyone living here will have a CPAM-issued card; ours were recalled years ago!

We received our new EHICs from Newcastle with very short delay and they are exactly as you describe, similar to the old ones but lasting a further 5 years.

Not that we'll be going anywhere yet !!

Hello Sid. The Bugle's information seems reasonably accurate, but it's published long after the news is news any more [:)]

I subscribed (basically just for the cost of the postage) because I thought it might provide a different view on life in LBF.

It does seem the the new EHIC is for Brits resident in the EU before end 2020, and the GHIC is for tourists.

Odd that they now say our old EHIC's are still valid after telling us to apply for the new ones.

I think, as usual, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

You are wrong about it being completely irrelevant regarding UK citizens living in France. Unless you mean it wouldn't be used in France if you are a resident. However, if you venture into another E.U. country it is relevant and you would need it if you were injured or ill.

sid wrote ".......is it a "misinformation" magazine like the Connexion ?"

Can you give some examples of when the Connexion has printed misinformation? I've seen this stated a few times on different forum but nobody has ever been able to say exactly what they have been guilty of. I suspect that people who post such things are themselves guilty of misinformation.

I too find the Bugle to be accurate in their reporting, what would they gain by sending out knowingly wrong information and risking their readership?

I haven't found the Connection to be misleading. It is, in my view, a left wing magazine and very pro-E.U. but there is always some very useful information in it. I'm prepared to put up with its left leaning bias for the useful titbits and interesting articles.

Ken, probably my ambiguous post, but I meant the GHIC isn't relevant for "us" (British citizens resident in France).

The idea that the GHIC is a Global card is also misleading unless we are to interpret that as being similar nomenclature as the American World Series baseball games, which are in fact not "World" at all.

Connexion: I can't post any current misinformation as I no longer read it. I was badly led astray with tax information about 6 or 7 years ago and it took me a lot of effort and explaining to extricate myself. I vowed never to read or recommend.

I really don't see the need for the publication as the proper information is readily available on French websites, you only have to look.

In my view it's for Brits who can't let go.

Lesson learned.

Yes, I did think that is what you meant but thought others may have read it differently and thought it was of no value. As for being a 'global card' I have never thought of it as that. Incidentally I did use my GHIC in Spain and it worked a treat!! Fantastic service by the Spanish health service.