Fat- The cause of the majority of covid deaths.

Ken

Very little is now being mentioned regarding people dying of covid who are obese.

It cannot be co-incidence that the USA and Britain have had the highest death tally and both countries have the highest number of fat people.

Tied in with being fat is the increased likelihood that there will be underlying medical conditions. Conditions that are caused by being fat but that are rarely, if ever, mentioned.

It is a taboo subject! Fat is killing people at a very fast rate particularly when covid is present. It is all very well blaming Mc Donalds or the government but just why do people have so little respect for their wellbeing that they allow themselves to be fat?

I read every week incorrect information about dieting or exercising but surely a person must be aware of how bad it is. Just what is it that allows fat people to think it is o.k; to be fat? It is ugly, it is dangerous and it costs the country a fortune yet still we don't tell it for what it is, a killer!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken wrote the following post at 24 Feb 2021 16:30:

Very little is now being mentioned regarding people dying of covid who are obese.

OK .. agree about the US and the UK .. but here in France M Macron always mentions obesity as a particular problem, especially linked to Covid.

I am horrified to discover that the (in my view) dreadful advert for 'Just Eat' has hit the TV screens here in France. Bringing with it the idea of snacking big time outside of main meals .. especially late at night.

Fortunately the curfew is limiting that aspect here for the moment .. but I anticipate an explosion of delivery bikes/ scooters dashing about in the evening when the curfew is lifted.

[quote user="NormanH"]Strangely enough I thought that there  was the virus that was killing people..

[/quote]

Unfortunately, you are wrong. Two people can have the virus but the fat person may die!!! Being fat is almost a a death wish!

[quote user="anotherbanana"]Well, you can start by cutting TV ads which advertise unhealthy foods as well as stopping the glorification of fat people ( hides head as bricks fly)[/quote]

Yes , lets; blame others for our shortcomings!.

We all have our vices, and mine is food especially sweet things.

I have never smoked, taken drugs, and have hardly drank alcohol throughout my life. Food however, is another thing.

I love cooking too.

I have yoyo'd with my weight for the last 45 years. And yes, I know what I am eating when I put weight on, but there again, those of you who drink are fully aware of what drink does to a system and it's calories, and cigarettes, well, the list is endless, and yet people do.

Also, my views on life and death for specific reasons are often quite different to most peoples. If fatter people die more easily with Covid, well, that is how it is. Why the fuss about it?

[quote user="NormanH"]Strangely enough I thought that there  was the virus that was killing people..

[/quote]

You mean that is the elephant virus in the room?[:D]

There are risk factors of course and I happened to hear that man (professor?  doctor?) government advisor, Jonathan Van Tam this morning saying that there is one overriding risk factor and that is Age, Age and Age.  Then he went on to explain the stats about a man of over 80 and a man of 40 getting the same amount of virus, then ...... I can't give the numbers he did but certainly a massive difference in the chance of dying.

Not helpful if you are old and he also said that men were more likely to die from it than women.   

[quote user="Ken"][quote user="alittlebitfrench"]People just don't eat enough fruit and veg.

Covid, heart disease, cancer !!!...it is the same thing.[/quote]

It I simply that that people eat too much. everything else is nonsence.[/quote]

And that is the absolute truth!

[quote user="idun"]
We all have our vices, and mine is food especially sweet things.

I have never smoked, taken drugs, and have hardly drank alcohol throughout my life. Food however, is another thing.

I love cooking too.

I have yoyo'd with my weight for the last 45 years. And yes, I know what I am eating when I put weight on, but there again, those of you who drink are fully aware of what drink does to a system and it's calories, and cigarettes, well, the list is endless,

and yet people do.

Also, my views on life and death for specific reasons are often quite different to most peoples. If fatter people die more easily with Covid, well, that is how it is. Why the fuss about it?

[/quote]

Yes , try and confuse the issue. Smoking etc. The fact is if you are fat then you are simply contributing to an early death. If that is what you want, then fine! But why should I pay for it?

My 20 stone, 66 year old diabetic friend caught covid from a member of staff who is a very fit 35 year old gym fanatic.

We thought he'd be a gonna for sure but he didn't go to hospital whereas the 35 year old gym fanatic had a terrible time including hospital took him over a month to get out of hospital. 20 stone friend over it in just under 14 days.

So it isnt simply age, or fat, possibly metabolic health and healthy gut microbiome play an essential part.

[quote user="Théière"]My 20 stone, 66 year old diabetic friend caught covid from a member of staff who is a very fit 35 year old gym fanatic.

We thought he'd be a gonna for sure but he didn't go to hospital whereas the 35 year old gym fanatic had a terrible time including hospital took him over a month to get out of hospital. 20 stone friend over it in just under 14 days.

So it isnt simply age, or fat, possibly metabolic health and healthy gut microbiome play an essential part.[/quote]

How many times, over the years have I read similar stories. Someone smoked a hundred fags a day and never had a cough whilst his friend, who didn't smoke died of lung cancer! OR I knew someone who drank a bottle of whisky a day and never had any ill health!! and so on. People deceive themselves with such stories.They are usually fat people, or smokers etc. The fact is, and it is fact: Fat people are more likely to die earlier than people with a normal fat %. Fat people are more prone to just about every disease known to man including most cancers, heart disease, blood pressure, strokes; you name it. Covid is the latest disease and it just loves fat people who invariably have an underlying ill health problem and it gets to work most efficiently!!!

No deception here, it happened and as I said we expected a bad out come so its not as binary as you suggest. Yes fat people do it to themselves and should have more control, like smokers, just weak willed idiots.

Then you have the likes of Lewis Hamilton, super fit, special diet and still catches and suffers so somewhere the metabolic heath isnt good.

Half the problem is the medical world just jump on a bandwagon when they dont have the real answer so its because your fat. You smoke, you drink too much, you dont do enough exercise, you eat too much meat, you eat meat.

None of those apply to me and I still got cancer.

Vegetarians get cancer too!

It can be genetic it could also be gut biome which is now getting a lot of attention. Eating too much of one thing can restrict the gut biome leading to issues, we rely on millions of bacteria and fungi to keep us working get that part wrong and you can have trouble. (Ref: Prof Tim Spector)

Ken we are humans, with our foibles and vices and food is not expensive anymore and we have the means to easily keep it fresh or frozen at home, or order it to home.

The other thing is that we all have to eat to sustain life. We cannot give it up, like all those other things you mentioned.

My weight and health are my own concern. I don't get het up about smokers, drug takers or alcoholics, or anything else. All that just is. AND I daresay the young generation who are overweight will not live long lives, but I will be gone before then.

All that you say is true. Neither do I get concerned about junkies, smokers or fat people. If they want to kill themselves that is their concern. I really have no compassion for them. Just two points though that does concern me. The first is that there are many people with serious illness that isn't in any way a result of personal indulgence. The vast amounts that is spent on the 'indulgent' ones is diverted from these people and I don't think that to be right.

The second point is really from your first sentence. I think it tragic that humans simply can't control their excesses. It won't change though.

I think you highlight a point I made earlier, and that is suggesting that being fat isn't the sole cause of death regarding covid. Hamilton caught it and survived, millions have. Heavy smokers don't all die of lung cancer etc. Some fat people almost certainly live along life.

The point is though and it is backed by so much research it makes your head swim! Being fat is extremely dangerous to your health, whatever the cause is of being fat is is almost irrelevant.

I have heard it all over the years, genetic, fast or slow metabolism, hereditary and a dozen other reasons why people are fat. The bottom line is that being fat can and does lead to many other illnesses including many cancers, heart disease, hypertension, strokes; the list is endless.

Like me you have probably seen the dreadful scenes in hospital wards of covid victims. Most of what I have seen usually is of a person grossly overweight. At the start of this pandemic being fat. was highlighted, it is never mentioned now, far too sensitive and not politically acceptable to tell people they are dying because they are fat!

I wonder what you see as grossly overweight.

I am told that I should be the weight I was when I was 18 according to my BMI report. We were all thin then.

I would look horrific at my age, I would look wasted and scrawny. And as I would never do that voluntarily, I would be very ill with something that was wasting my body away if was that thin again. Saw it with my mother, not only her body but mind going too, so no thanks.

As I have said: a person makes choices and if that means being fat then that is their choice. Presumably they are also happy with the associated health risks in being fat.

As for looking wasted and scrawny that simply shouldn't be the case. Normal people who are not fat don't look wasted and scrawny., they usually look healthy!