Now there are Vaccination slots and no takers!

NormanH

There may, or there may not, be some foundation on the claims about the Pfizer vaccine. However I have had both Pfizer injections with no reaction and MoH has had her first Pfizer injection also with no reaction.

It may be that we have been exceptions but, whatever the case, I don't find the media to be the most reliable source of information for the efficacy or otherwise of the various vaccines.

In fact, I don't find the media a reliable source for much information!  I find it best to take all their reporting with a very large pinch of salt.

Similar to Weegie, no reaction still from OH's first dose 48hrs ago, I had a slightly sore arm for 48 hrs the first time, less sore arm second time, plus a feeling of getting a headache, but I've got that today as well, it's raining, typical lower pressure reaction, boht Pfizer, all they do locally.

Media sources (from my former profession's [librarian, sort of!] point of view) take the reputable sources, ignore the rest.   And always reference your source.

I still maintain that any vaccine is better than not .. and that is from the scientific papers [which contrary to what I said above] I do have links for but cannot be bothered to go get and post.

Purely based on the millions and millions worldwide who have had both Pfizer and AZ, the probability is that there will be a number of people with adverse reactions....as they say, it's a numbers thing...smile!

Also don't forget that many, many instructions have changed from the authorities in all countries because knowledge about the virus has changed and has grown.  When it first burst in on the scene, we didn't know anything much about it, we had no known "cure" or even proven treatment and certainly no vaccine.  Now less than 2 years later, we are dealing with those things and filling in the gaps in our ignorance.  To me all this seems a wonderful, unbelievable and fantastic result and I am in total awe of all that the scientists, researches, doctors, others and yes governments even have been able to do for us.

To my mind, it seems therefore logical that instructions could well change, for example, don't have AZ but have Pfizer or vice versa.  It's also understandable that professional opinions eg between pharmacists, doctors, scientists and even the lay opinions of the man or woman in the street can differ.  All to be expected and nothing to get overly excited about.

As many have pointed out, it's better to have any vaccine than none and it's better have it sooner rather than later.

Sermon over....no emoticons but the tongue sticking out one will do here...

Weegie - the media carry medical reports;  if we don't read medical reports 'in the media' how would we know about the adverse side effects from any of the vaccines.
There is a subtle difference, you know, between 'the media' and the media which prints and reports accurately medical information.
So stop being silly;  are you saying you don't get any information at all from radio, television, newspapers ?
Oh dear.
Chessie

"There is a subtle difference, you know, between 'the media' and the

media which prints and reports accurately medical information."

Which is why I asked for the source of the information.

Some posters are rich in opinions, but poor in providing any evidence for them.

[quote user="Gardengirl "]There definitely seem to be big differences of opinion or crossed wires, cajal.

My husband and I are both under the care of our local hospital’s cardiac care unit here in the UK and both had our second OAZ vaccinations on 27th March. Didn’t even have sore arms to show for the jabs, either.
[/quote]

You state that you received your jabs in the UK, so assuming you are British, you will no doubt be fully aware of The British Heart Foundation.  I found their site while googling some info re covid/heart issues.

THIS is a page from their on-line magazine faq section, updated 26th April, which is very informative for people with heart conditions and their concerns/questions in this situation.

I found an interesting stat under the:

"Is it safe, and how effective is it? Is the coronavirus vaccine safe"? question.

Millions of people have now had the vaccine and the number of serious

allergic reactions have been very rare – fewer than 1 in 50,000 people

in the case of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, and fewer than 1 in 100,000

in the case of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine.

Based on the above stats, it would seem, according to the BHF, there are twice as many incidence of issues for those receiving a Pfizer jab than for those receiving the AZ jab.

Someone, somewhere, must be operating a very successful cover-up job given the adverse publicity afforded to the AZ product.

My thought about all this is it is better to take any risk and have a vaccination than get Covid....... and if anyone doubts how bad covid is, just look at news reports from India.

Does anyone on here take any medication at all without any Effet indésirable  being listed. A few of mine have 'death' as a side effect, although I would question whether ' side effect ' would be the correct term.

What ever you answer, I do. Rightly or wrongly I believe that with my prescriptions that the benefits will outweigh anything else untoward, and they would be 'unfortunate' but a risk I am prepared to take.

And Covid, well, I just cannot believe how selfish people are not getting vaccinated when they can, because it is not just them who will continue to be at risk, but putting others at risk too, especially giving the variants breeding grounds. Grrrr!

La HAS recommande d’utiliser les vaccins à ARNm actuellement disponibles (COMIRNATY ou vaccin Covid-19 Moderna) pour l’administration,  avec leur accord,  de la deuxième dose chez les personnes de moins de 55 ans ayant reçu une première dose du vaccin VAXZEVRIA avec un intervalle de 12 semaines entre les doses.

Source: https://www.has-sante.fr/jcms/p_3260361/fr/avis-n-2021-0027/ac/seesp-du-8-avril-2021-du-college-de-la-haute-autorite-de-sante-concernant-le-type-de-vaccin-a-utiliser-pour-la-seconde-dose-chez-les-personnes-de-moins-de-55-ans-ayant-recu-une-premiere-dose-du-vaccin-astrazeneca-nouvellement-appele-vaxzevria-contre-la-covid-19

You will see how it pans out in the Uk with so much opening up soon.

There was a rave in Liverpool and in theory that should have been OK, but as with everything concerning Covid.......... nobody really knows, it is tenacious!

As long as the whole population has not been vaccinated including the rufusniks there will be a danger. Plus a sense of what is appropriate behaviour such as not shaking hands, not snogging the whole village, keeping a distance, at least until there have been several months of zero cases.

, "at least until there have been several months of zero cases."

I doubt there will ever be zero cases. After all, flu and colds are with us all year round as are other infectious diseases. Eventually we will just have to live with it and have vaccinations in the same way as we do with flue.

it would appear that the new approach is to live with it, and one assumes, all that will entail health wise: the economy comes first?

https://bit.ly/3eSbhyG

Emmanuel Macron assume le choix de « vivre avec » le Covid-19

I couldn't read all of the article linked as you have to be a member, but I get the idea.  It has appeared that way to me for a while now (the we have to live with it concept).

I feel sorry for anyone needing serious health care (Covid or otherwise).

Though the vaccination campaign has improved, the numbers are still low (IMO) for an all out reopening of commerce this month.  I cannot imagine the hospitals NOT getting chocker full again round mid June or July.  Of course, I hope I am wrong.

The one good thing I have heard on this topic is that some places are giving spare shots left over (or from les RVs non honorés) to anyone over 18 who either pre book as wanting shots or turn up after 16.00.  And I did see on TV young people who have come forward.  What upset me a lot was the mere thought of shots being thrown away.

Numbers are indeed still crazily high and don't forget that in May, there are no fewer than 4 jours feriés!  Depite what Macron said about vaccination going on no matter if it's Sunday or a jour ferié, I see from the stats that things slowed down markedly this last weekend.  So I have no great hope about the "rhythm" being continued.

OTOH, the déconfinement is going to be in stages and, as explained, the brakes can be put on if the stats justify.  There are indeed more centres being opened all the time and more vaccine deliveries are due.  We are all, of course, impotent so there is nothing to be done except sit tight and hope.  I don't feel I myself can speculate on the numbers to come in the summer. 

We can be complacent because we're old enough to have had both our jabs nearly 2 months ago, but I'm dismayed that France has decided they can't get down to the infection levels of the UK before allowing everyone to more or less do as they want.

Is it a case of -

If at first you don't succeed ........................................ Give up?

I think it's a case of the economy - they need to get some way back to normal. So it's the money.
Think it's also a case of jealousy - that the UK has succeeded so well; France hasn't, but maybe France is hoping to prove that it isn't necessary to have so many vaccinated.
But then you look at India (with aid from the UK, and their space programme) - and they are in a terrible state.   Although I've read the figures and percentages which imply that the 'numbers' based on population are not as high as they were in the worst of times in the UK and the USA.  But numbers don't help when you see the sad scenes.
Then you realise how many of the Oxford AZ doses are not being used, held in storage, in the Netherlands; how many doses of the Oxford AZ are being thrown away in european countries - simply because of the ignorant/spiteful/vindictive (choose your own word) attitudes of macron and merkel -
and I conclude that it is immoral not to have any vaccine; it is totally immoral to refuse - and throw away - the Oxford AZ which is at cost, cheap, effective, and reliable.
So what the european leaders have done, in my view, is utterly immoral and evil.
Those doses they 'don't want, won't use' - should, in a decent world with moral leaders - be sent asap to India.
The UK has sent aid already; is sending ventilators; the UK also sent extra supplies to Oz when the eu halted exports from the Netherlands.  A plant for which the UK had provided funds and staff to set up and start production.  Our money - and the eu stepped in and stopped exports.
The UK has also provided as much money as the USA to aid COVAX - the international help agency.

See who the bad guys are ?

To those of you who've had the vax with little or no side-effects - thank you for all the information and reassurance.  And the information about how easy and efficiently its working is also reassuring.  

Keep smiling everyone; we'll get there.
I did read that the virus 'should' according to the scientists, begin to lose a lot of its impact in a few years; that the mutations will decline - and that we will just accept it as part of our new every-day in the way that we do with coughs, colds, and the flu.   Dear G--, I hope they are right.

The sun is shining here; and the nightingales are singing away in the hedge by the house - it's beautiful to hear them, reminder that life goes on.....
Chessie

PS - did anyone who has had the vax take a paracetamol tablet immediately afterwards ?

[quote user="chessie"] .......................Then you realise how many of the Oxford AZ doses are not being used, held in storage, in the Netherlands; how many doses of the Oxford AZ are being thrown away in european countries - simply because of the ignorant/spiteful/vindictive (choose your own word) attitudes of macron and merkel ................................................[/quote]

You fail to mention Ursula Gertrud, the failed German politician who is now the EU boss, engineered by the two pals above, who seems determined to wield her power in a way which everyone had hoped went out of fashion many decades ago.......................

The problem with France is that it is so dependent on tourism. They need folks to come to France to spend money.

But France is going to be on the red list of most countries.

France should open up in June not May. Give it another month.

But I was reading somewhere that France is the most indebted country in Europe.

It don't look good for tax payers.

On the note of tourism.....does anyone ever consider the environmental impact of tourism in France ?

Long range forecasts suggest it is going to be a VERY HOT summer.

My garden is bone dry !!!! If I was a farmer, I would be dead worried.

Macron wants all his cake.

Now the Danish government has said they will no longer use the Johnson vaccine (they have already said some time ago that they will not use AZ).

Lucky Danes, they have only had a "handful" of deaths compared to us and so they have the luxury of choice.

I think for the rest of us, we have to use what's available within reason and after balancing risks and benefits.  I think it's fair enough not to give AZ to younger people as they are the ones more prone to blood clots.  And no, I genuinely do NOT believe that Europe has reservations about AZ simply because "they" don't like the British.  Thank heavens governments do not have the childish and simplistic mentality that some individuals harbour[:D]

[quote user="mint"]

................ Lucky Danes, they have only had a "handful" of deaths compared to us and so they have the luxury of choice. ...................[/quote]

Hardly correct. Denmark's cases are 40% of those in France, and four times those in the UK.

Figures HERE

EDIT: Sorry, I read cases not deaths. But our son who lives in Copenhagen tells me that popular opinion there is that the policy is to put Covid deaths down to other causes.

He has two small children, no-one he knows is vaccinated or has the possibility, and they are scared.