Now there are Vaccination slots and no takers!

NormanH

I have no idea why they don't take just anyone who wants it then.

My son would LOVE to have his, and yet he cannot, even the stock at work in the medical centre cannot be touched by 'younger' folk, even though older ones are not going in to get it.

I have been keeping my eye on the figures in France, they are truly terrible at the moment for no good reason.

Just why is the infection rate currently so high? What is going on? How are  the people you are all seeing behaving?

I make a point of asking people that I chat to if they have had a jab or two; the number of refusniks is very worrying. I just hope for their sakes that it does not all come back and bite them in the derrière,msomtomspeak.

The French government could help by placing restrictions on those who will not have the vaccine such as a ban on using public transport, suspension of health or pension rights.....

Yes, our daughter would love to have a vaccine, but she is not eligible (too young).  The entire thing is a fiasco.

And no one round here masks or distances anymore.  And we are surrounded by thousdands upon thousands of people.  We took some photos while out and about a couple of days ago, but of course, I cannot post them here.

It is still a shock to us (even after seeing it for so long now) to see no masks and no distancing.  It is very obvious to us why the case loads remain in the 30,000 range.  Very obvious.  Just today, I saw people sitting INSIDE a restaurant eating meals and I am quite confident they were not all employees.  Thought that was interdite.  Right...

Still see huge lots of people (all ages) in the park well after 19h00, often after 20h00.

Oh and Wooly, forget the idea of a ban on public transport.  Who would enforce it??  I mean, round here, no one even enforces the mask on buses. 

[quote user="idun"]
I have no idea why they don't take just anyone who wants it then.

My son would LOVE to have his, and yet he cannot, even the stock at work in the medical centre cannot be touched by 'younger' folk, even though older ones are not going in to get it.

I have been keeping my eye on the figures in France, they are truly terrible at the moment for no good reason.

Just why is the infection rate currently so high? What is going on? How are  the people you are all seeing behaving?

[/quote]

Id, what I have heard several commentators say on TV is that, if they opened the vaccination programme to younger people, many of the older and more vulnerable plus people like teachers may then not be able to get vaccinated.

They say it is right to stick to the programme and that it makes sense to protect the most vulnerable first to avoid deaths and hospitalisations.  EXCEPT, they are neither avoiding deaths (well over 300 yesterday) nor hospitalisations (just under 30 000)[6]

I think it was a fundamental mistake to make people ring in or book on-line instead of having either the CPAM or the MTs to contact people and invite them to come.  That's what the UK do, people wait to be called.  Other than in unusual circumstances, people do not have to proactively ask for the RVs.  You know what people are like, if you want them to do something, it's more effective to make it easy for them to comply.

Also the programme can be rolled out in a controlled manner because the health authorities are the instigators.  Generally speaking, left to themselves, people tend to take the line of least resistance and do nothing.

mint wrote the following post at 28 Apr 2021 18:58:

I think it was a fundamental mistake to make people ring in or book on-line instead of having either the CPAM or the MTs to contact people and invite them to come. That's what the UK do, people wait to be called. Other than in unusual circumstances, people do not have to proactively ask for the RVs.

OH and I had decided to wait it out, as we were already lying low .. when we received a call from an organiser at the Pharmacie in our nearest small town about 6/7 km away, where our cabinet médical is.

We were offered a dual appt for the following week .. 21/04 .. with the Moderna vaccine; apparently it was recommended by the MT because of OH's anaphylactic shock history. I was the lucky accomplice.

So far so good. We were told we would be contacted by phone as to the next dose/appt.

Lori wrote the following post at 28 Apr 2021 15:30:

It is still a shock to us (even after seeing it for so long now) to see no masks and no distancing. It is very obvious to us why the case loads remain in the 30,000 range. Very obvious. Just today, I saw people sitting INSIDE a restaurant eating meals and I am quite confident they were not all employees. Thought that was interdite. Right...

You and we live in different parts of France, very obviously.

Here people are normally v disciplined .. possibly due to the aged population.

But .. being a coastal place we are also inundated by people escaping your kind of nightmare scenario.

Houses open up overnight as escapées arrive .. at first I was worried. Now less so as these are people who want to hide away and escape from the kind of horror that you are experiencing.

I know a few people who waited for their GP to contact them about getting vaccinated. We did not. I know I spent quite some time on the internet  trying to book, but book I managed for the pair of us, him first as he was over 70 and me a group down.

OH's first one was supposed to be on 14th Feb but his surgery called on the 10th and asked if he wanted to go the next day. He said yes, and I cancelled the other appointment on line.

The surgery  called last week and he had his second jab yesterday. My second one was booked at the same time as my first and that is on May 14th.

I have no idea why anyone would want to wait for their GP in the UK unless they had no internet access. No idea at all, and millions of us did not.

As I kept saying when there were posts about those who had both doses within three weeks in France, those very lucky few! Simply that we could not have the second without having the first first............. and just wait and see what'll happen in the UK when they start all the second doses along with younger groups getting their first doses.

There have been lots of mistakes with all sorts of things,  many issues that I am sure that those who were not in the situation  to have had the power to make any decisions, will unashamedly condemn every last thing done, when this started, we will see.

But what can I say, re the jabs, well, it has worked well in the UK. We are ahead of combined Germany and France, and that is what 150million people.

What worries me is that these new variants will be stronger than our current vaccinations........

Variants aren't a problem. The existing vaccines are effective against all of them. The problem is that the vast majority of people have still not been vaccinated, at least here in France. 14 million only have received their first jab and Macron is, apparently, going to start opening up France next week, as are other E.U. countries.

It beggars belief that politicians can gamble with people's lives like this. The tame media in France is giving this government a free ride. Castex I think is quite useless but is Macron's puppy so will stay in place. Over 100,000 dead ; another 345 dead this morning and France is going to 'relax' restrictions; were there ever any!!!!!!!

[quote user="Ken"] France is going to 'relax' restrictions; were there ever any!!!!!!![/quote]

Agree with everything you've said.  And, no, round here people went along doing whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted.

Only restrictions were that some shops were closed.  Many remained open even when they weren't supposed to be open.  Parks remained open LONG after 19h00, etc., etc.

Well in our local centre slots are filled as soon as they are released .. within the day the last time I looked.

Happily I did't need to act as we had finally managed to get a slot for hubbyy (he had his first jab today as it happens! and has lived to tell the tale in spite of a fear of any medical procedure), when he had an email last week from sante.fr who I presume were chasing up the over 75' stragglers .. lots of slots then, and also the second slot booked, .. but none available to the general public in the centre until 3 days later, and those were the ones which went within the day. 

He's now watching snooker ...

Judith, I am so very happy for you.  As I was in a similar situation with being unable to get a vax for my OH, I know how the frustration feels and what a relief it is when the deed is done!  Really happy...for you both.....

@ Judith, it’s very good news about your husband’s vaccination and that he’s feeling OK. Snooker - balm to the soul for fans.

@ Idun, I found part of your post puzzling as it seems misleading to those who haven’t heard much about how vaccinations are arranged here in the UK.

“I know a few people who waited for their GP to contact them about getting vaccinated. We did not.”

“I have no idea why anyone would want to wait for their GP in the UK unless they had no internet access. No idea at all, and millions of us did not.”

Yet it seems that that your husband was vaccinated at his GP practice:

“OH's first one was supposed to be on 14th Feb but his surgery called on the 10th and asked if he wanted to go the next day. He said yes, and I cancelled the other appointment on line.”

Millions of others received their jabs from their GP; our GP practice alone had vaccinated more than 100,000 patients quite some time ago, with our medics and practice staff working pretty flat out doing that while trying to keep up to date with patients’ other needs.

I know of hardly any older people who didn’t receive their vaccination at their GP practice, other than those whose own surgery couldn’t carry out vaccinations.

My husband and I had our first vaccinations on January 12th at our GP practice and many neighbours also received theirs that week.

We were very surprised to receive the phone call inviting us so early, as the online forecast had indicated March; once medics geared up vaccinations took place so much more quickly, and central hubs handle very many, of course.

Our second jabs were on 27th March, along with neighbours plus some patients from nearby GP surgeries that were too small to run vaccination clinics.

Second vaccinations are continuing apace, plus the age of patients receiving theirs is coming down quite rapidly, the latter usually at bigger vaccination hubs. Both our sons (45 plus) have had one jab after receiving texts, each in different parts of the UK. Our DIL, 43, has received a text about going for hers.

I’ve been so pleased to hear of friends and neighbours in France receiving their vaccinations, but very much hope that numbers will rise more quickly . The thought of lifting current restrictions in France is scary.

Agree with all that re U.K., GG.

I had a text from my GP asking me to ring for an appointment. Admittedly I had to hold on for a long time before the receptionist answered, but I was offered one for 48 hours later - 30 Dec - with No 2 three weeks after. Admittedly, the original date I was given for the second one was changed to three months rather than weeks, but it seemed more logical to protect more people with a first vaccine.

My 47-y-o daughter and husband have had their first ones now, too. (Though they did both have mild Covid around Christmas.)

French figures are still looking so scary. I feel that once we are allowed to travel, the U.K. might even put France on the "red list" if things haven’t improved dramatically.

Pleased to report that hubby is reporting no side effects this morning .. so far! [Nor does he like that I am reporting this, he says it's private - he's just seen me posting this by looking over my shoulder - he does not approve of such "chat"!!].

Mint, GG, and Lori, thank you for your encouragement .. it is a great relief to know we are on the way and that his second is in 6 wks, as now accepted here.  He realised that if he did not have the jab he would not be able to travel (when we finally can again) which was the decider.

In the UK my nephews can now have the jab at 40+, here I still have older friends who cannot get an appointment, though most who are willing to travel to the larger cities can, but they are sometime well into the future ..

Well, the system would have been in receipt of two extra AZ 2nd doses if we were to heed our mt's instructions.

My wife was diagnosed with an 'anomalie cardiaque' earlier this year and is on medication for the issue.  Since last October we have been under a young 30 something suppléant mt from the hospital in Nice as the regular mt has been on maternity leave.  He was fully aware that my wife and I had received a 1st AZ jab back in March and that the follow-up would be given in early May and that he was also not aware there would be any problems for us. The last time I saw him back in March, he was thoroughly p*ssed off with the system as neither he nor his wife were yet eligible for a jab and with the nature of their profession, they both felt rather vulnerable. (France eh?)

Today, my wife visited the regular mt, who has now returned from maternity leave, for a 3 month follow-up prescription for the above.  When it became clear, to the mt, that my wife was about to receive her 2nd AZ jab (May 9th)  she pretty well went ape-sh*t saying because she has a heart condition she should immediately cancel the AZ jab, wait 3 months and then have Pfizer as the 2nd jab. Once she was over the onslaught, she enquired after my situation, having undergone a triple by-pass seven years ago.  The mt's response was that I should do the same and cancel my 2nd AZ jab.

From the surgery to the pharmacy is a two-minute walk, so before coming over to the car to reveal this bombshell she went to collect her medication.  While in the pharmacy she mentioned the mt's instructions to the pharmacist who was horrified that this had even been suggested by the mt to her.  The pharmacist, 30 something, like the suppléant mt, was also p*ssed off as, unlike the suppléant, she had already received her 1st AZ jab and had subsequently been informed that because of her age she would not be receiving a 2nd AZ jab. (France eh.)

When my wife returned to the car and relayed this saga to me I just guffawed and said "Cancel the 2nd AZ jab? Yeah right, I should cocoa."

As posted on another thread, I had cancelled two Pfizer 1st and 2nd appointments when I found I was able to snag an AZ jab.  The reason being because this is a procedure which is  handled by the French authorities and ultimately by the European Commission, and I was aware that following production of the Pfizer Bion-tec vaccine it must be kept, stored and transported at a constant -70°C (-94°F) and in view of the administrators, who were overseeing this required procedure, it was a no brainer for me to cancel Pfizer and take AZ.

At 10.30  on the 9th of May I will be at the vacs centre, sleeve rolled up ready to receive a 2nd dose of AZ and at 10.36 my wife will be adopting a similar stance. Now I know why they are referred to as "quacks".

doh! edited to add - to those temperatures.

There definitely seem to be big differences of opinion or crossed wires, cajal.

My husband and I are both under the care of our local hospital’s cardiac care unit here in the UK and both had our second OAZ vaccinations on 27th March. Didn’t even have sore arms to show for the jabs, either.

I would be rather wary of the pfizer vaccination.   Two reasons - the first is that there is a stronger reaction to the first injection of pfizer - apparently it stimulates the immune system into hyper-drive.
But there are also reports coming out that it has caused serious heart complications;  now if anyone has had heart problems (apart from broken ones of course !) - then maybe that is a reason to avoid the pfizer.
I'm not having any luck at the moment but I only want the |Oxford AZ.

You're all coping brilliantly - vaccine or no vaccine.

Chessie

'But there are also reports coming out that it has caused serious heart complications; now if anyone has had heart problems'

And as far as I can determine very little publicity about it. Particularly on French media! Then again Pfizer isn't British is it!!!

'I would be rather wary of the pfizer vaccination. Two reasons - the first is that there is a stronger reaction to the first injection of pfizer - apparently it stimulates the immune system into hyper-drive.

But there are also reports coming out that it has caused serious heart complications; now if anyone has had heart problems (apart from broken ones of course !) - then maybe that is a reason to avoid the pfizer.'

Chessie: It would appear that you garner your info from the media, as I do. Some apparently need links!!