PCR test - did it borther you?

nomoss

Last month my wife had to have a PCR test prior to a minor hospital procedure, so I asked the infirmière to also give me a test when she came to the house.

We both found the test extremely unpleasant, even quite painful. The swab seemed to be cutting into the tenderest part of my nasal passage, my eyes watered uncontrollably, and the operation seemed endless.

Do we have a particularly clumsy infirmière - we have known her for years and she has always seemed competent - are we both ultra sensitive, or does everyone find the test so unpleasant?

I’ve had 3. Two were part of a study I take part in and one was when I was in hospital.

The first was done at an official test centre and was fine, just made me sneeze afterwards; the tester counted down from 10 for the throat one and then for the nose one .

The third, done by a nurse in hospital, didn’t even make me sneeze, was just very slightly uncomfortable.

The second was absolutely unpleasant, it hurt, - it was a DIY effort and I had been sure that I could do it OK, and really didn’t want to drive all the way to the test centre at Newbury race course again. I really wish I’d driven to Newbury again instead.

My husband had one before a hospital procedure and found it quite unpleasant and his eyes kept watering afterwards.

I've had 4 PCR tests in the previous few months and all were HORRIBLE, painful and about the most unpleasant procedure I have had to endure.  I have less fear of root canal work by the dentist and certainly less fear than having needles put in my vein for the administration of medication.

2 were done by the same woman, 1 done by a man and the 4th by another woman.  All were lab personnel.  My surgeon gave me one to be done at home by the nurse but our lovely nurse said that in our area the tests were centralised and that it had to be in the lab.

You and your wife are definitely not alone.  In fact, the last time I was in the lab waiting my turn, a young man came out, sneezing, eyes tearing up and blowing his nose repeatedly.  Obviously, as with most things, different people have different reactions regardless of the skill or otherwise of the perpetrator!

I was naturally hopeful now that I have had both doses of vaccine that I would not need a PCR prior to my expected hospital admission.  I still haven't been able to find out this info because, guess what, my op was cancelled[6]

My only PCR test, done by the nurses here, was before I'd had my jabs, and was not very nice, not quite not painful, but it made me cough!!  Other than that, Mint's reaction was not dissimilar to mine ..

I'd really like to know whether once vaccinated completely, one needs to take a PCR test as well .. such is the efficacy of the vaccines that we are told, PCR tests should surely not then be necessary.

Just discussing nurses in France yesterday. I suspect that they are taught, ' this is going to hurt',  and not 'it might hurt just a little'.

I have been seen by a few who were gentle and kind, but the majority have not been like that at all. Maybe these alpine folk are tougher than me?

My OH had it done prior to a cataract op. He said it was extremely uncomfortable. His eyes were watering for along time after. He had been used to 'basic' treatment in the services for many years but was surprised just how uncomfortable this procedure was. It seems to vary from people he has spoken to so maybe it does depend on the infirmiere.

I have wondered whether they really need to dig the swab in so deeply and twirl the damn thing about in what seems like the base of your brain stem[6]

Trying to describe it to my OH, who is from Wales, I said it was as though they had to go a VERY long way inside the tunnel to get to the coal face.

So, once the first nostril was done, I thought in my innocence the first time that that was it and I could leave.  NO, it's then the turn of the second nostril and, you guess it, it is if anything even more painful because, unlike popular belief, pain does have a memory and by the second nostril, I am stiffening up my whole body and preparing it for the assault.

When I am in the queue, I try to blot the coming test from my mind and to ignore the pictures I have seen on TV where people have writhed and cringed.  I take an absorbing book to read or some calming music to play on my cd player.  When I eventually get to the head of the queue and am shown into the booth where the action takes place, I am already shuddering internally.  Then when they ask me to stand against the white screen erected there and to lean my head back and pull down my mask, I really want to pull the mask UP instead of down so that I could cover my eyes and properly be in the stance of someone about to be executed by firing squad.  That's not to play down the horror of people who have faced a real firing squad but I assure you that is exactly what I imagine at that moment.  

Hmm wonder if the swab wielders would in fact make good torturers?

[quote user="Judith-aka-Judith"]
My only PCR test, done by the nurses here, was before I'd had my jabs, and was not very nice, not quite not painful, but it made me cough!!  Other than that, Mint's reaction was not dissimilar to mine ..

I'd really like to know whether once vaccinated completely, one needs to take a PCR test as well .. such is the efficacy of the vaccines that we are told, PCR tests should surely not then be necessary.

[/quote]

Well, Judith, I can now answer your question.  The surgeon's secretary rang and gave me a date (so only 3 months delay, not bad).  I asked about the PCR and she said yes you'd still have to have it.  At my gasp of horror and agitated explanation about the torture the test is, she put me on hold and went off to ask somebody.  Answer? still yes.

Then I rang the anaesthetist for a pre op RV and I asked HER about the PCR, hoping for a different answer.  Hoped in vain, she confirmed that yes, I'd have to have one before admission.

So, to whom it might concern, don't build up your hopes, there is no escape from the dreaded PCR! 

Thanks Mint,

What an absolute pain .. eventually we will surely not need them .. so for now the only answer is not to go anywhere that needs them .. if possible.  And when I think how many blood tests I am having they should surely be able to test from those .. 

And good luck for the op ...

Thanks, Judith. I suppose it could be that the jabs do not absolutely prevent the jabbed from catching the virus, despite all the manufacturers' claims?

I don't know of any manufacturer of vaccine that claims the vaccine absolutely prevents someone from catching the virus! Just where do you get that nonsense from?

[quote user="Ken"]...........................I don't know of any manufacturer of vaccine that claims the vaccine absolutely prevents someone from catching the virus! Just where do you get that nonsense from?[/quote]

Hey, take it easy mouthy!

Oh dear, I didn't mean that the manufacturers claim that their vaccines would absolutely prevent you from getting the virus.  The surgeon's sec said something about antibody levels in the serum and I wasn't sure that a swab would show that.  I thought it would be a blood test for that result so rather than quote her I said that the jabs would not protect anybody absolutely and that was just what I guessed the secretary was trying to tell me.

I didn't mean to imply what you said, Ken.

Judith, it seems strange to me that if the vaccine is supposed to not only stop you from serious illness, but weaken transmission, why would you need to have a PCR for hospital admission?  If you were to want to take a plane or go abroad, would you need a PCR as well as being fully vaccinated?

Nomoss, do you know anything about this or indeed have any thoughts on it?

MINT: Oh dear, I didn't mean that the manufacturers claim that their vaccines would absolutely prevent you from getting the virus.

Unfortunately though that is what you did say!

It seems you have a Champion anyway who says I'm 'mouthy' A rather polite expression from someone who isn't!!!!

[quote user="mint"] .....................................................Nomoss, do you know anything about this or indeed have any thoughts on it?

[/quote]

Sorry, Mint. I don't know much about vaccines, but there seems to be no shortage of experts on here.

Mint, I knew what you meant!  IN fact, if they are going to believe that the vaccines are the way forward , they are going to have to learn to trust the science, just heard on the radio news a few minutes ago, Israel has now determined that the Pfizer vaccine after 2 doses is 95% effective in stopping transmission and in getting the infection too .. so those adequately vaccinated are pretty unlikely to catch it, or transmit, even if they do go even to a country not well vaccinated yet (though why they shouldm yet, is an extirely different discussion).

Since most of those on here who've had their second dose are also still careful about where they go, the need for a PCR test should be less necessary ... but the powers that be cannot go in that direction yet because the statistics (and how the French love their statistics, true or not) won't let them do it.

Yes, Judith, I knew what I meant too!!  It wasn't until I went back over what I had written that I could see the ambiguity and where misunderstanding could arise.  But there we are, don't we all say or write something now and again that doesn't come out the way we meant it?  [:D]

I am most reassured by what you have said about the Israeli study and I have another reason for being keen to know about this stuff.  I am hoping to go on that long weekend walking with friends in Cauteret that was delayed from last year.  We booked the gîte last year and some of us even paid the deposit but, of course, it had to be cancelled.  It's not until the last weekend in June and I am following the figures closely to gauge if I shall be going or not.  I think most of us in the group have had at least one dose and many will, like me, have had 2 doses.  I have my own bedroom and we have had a salle de manger allocated to just our small group of friends.  Then, once out of the house, we would be spending all day outdoors, walking and exploring.  We will probably have dinner outdoors because that's what we normally do anyway.  Fingers crossed.

But, unfortunately for me, I will have to have at least 2 more PCRs and maybe even 3 .....you bet I am not exactly keen to have them.  Wish someone would shoot me with a tranquilising dart beforehand!

As I said right at the beginning, G & B, different people have different reactions.  I don't think my extreme one is typical and I don't think my own attitude to the test is helpful either[:-))]

Mint, I cannot help with whether you will be able to take your delayed trip in June, who can?? but I can say that I have decided that we celebrate OH's  birthday this year (on Sunday) - last year, a big "0" for him we were due to go to Italy, cancelled of course .. but I have invited our 2 best friends round who live in the nearest big town, to celebrate .. plus our CdS arrivals plus my new passport (OH not due for some years yet!).  Fizz (blanquette, what else do you buy down here!) already purchased!

First time I have even felt like celebrating, or entertaining at home ... so we progress, and maybe on 19 May (or later as I am once again in Toulouse that day!), we shall actually get to eat in a resto again !!

Meanwhile, I won't say "enjoy" your PCR tests, but think about them as though they are getting you towards your goal (I hope!).  

Happy Birthday for Sunday, M Judith[:D]  I hope you all have a lovely day.  Weather here set to be fine so I wish for good weather for you too.

Yes, I too would like to have a few people round eating outdoors.  Both our parasols have somehow got broken during storage.  We haven't been able to buy new ones locally on account of sales of "non-essentials" not being allowed.

Now I feel I want to be busy and I am buzzing again.....went to someone's house for the first time since forgotten how long, I mean actually went inside.  Nice, cool, roomy kitchen and boy, did it feel good to be doing something so ..well..so normal[:D]

Mint,

You express my feelings so entirely ... how long ago just doing normal things like a coffee with a neighbour ...seems. Though I suspect some people never stopped doing that .. which is why the cases are not going down as quickly as htey should be doing if everyone was behaving as the current rules say they should be doing.

Went to the nearest larger town yesterday, mainly to get his present and buy food I couldn't get locally for Sunday, and was amazed by the number of cars around (this is not the centre of the universe, you know!), and there was even a traffic jam along the rocade on the way home!!

Thread Drift

[quote user="mint"]
Yes, I too would like to have a few people round eating outdoors.  Both our parasols have somehow got broken during storage.  We haven't been able to buy new ones locally on account of sales of "non-essentials" not being allowed.[/quote]

Along with Google, Lidl is also your friend.  May 13th HEREClick on the picture to enlarge and use the mouse to manoeuvre around the images

Middle aisle stuff, in Lidl, doesn't appear to come under the auspices of 'essential goods' apparently.

I bought one of these a couple of years ago.  Excellent quality although the cover material faded quite rapidly because of the intense sun it is subjected to down here.  I lopped one of the feet off and made some pole brackets to enable me to bolt it to a wall as its location doesn't require moving.