Signs of the Delta variant taking off here

NormanH

And the UK Government has reintroduced the requirement for returnees to quarantine for 10 days.

Well, that completely boogers up the plans for our elder son & family to come down here for 2 weeks in early August.

They, who have slavishly followed all the rules over the last umpteen months. Meanwhile, infection rates have been at a much higher rate in the UK and mass attendance sporting events have started and continue.

And yes Lori, non-vacciners make me sick. I really don’t understand their reasoning. Our neighbour is one of them - he’s an idiot and always was.

I’m not a happy bloke.

Much disappointment here too with words that are unprintable. I dont understand why they are now reacting to a problem that they knew about so long ago.

The percentage of folk returning from abroad and testing positive for covid was something like 0.1% I seem to remember.

Stooooopidddddo

I should have clarified the Beta variant. Regarding the Delta, 68% still is not bad and likely to lessen the effects of a covid infection whilst boosting the immune system. At least that's what's hoped for.

In a population of anti vaxers there will be more variants as the virus will mutate again.

Have the antivaxers learned nothing from history?

Bizarre - the Beta variant (a.k.a. South African) is almost non-existent in France except, unsurprisingly, in La Réunion.

Echoes of the removal of the winter fuel grant.

As for the Pro-Vax vs Anti-Vax wars of religion - no comment, except that science is desperately trying to hold onto reason between the two sides.

Meanwhile, the holiday plans of thousands are wrecked.

Our family’s are. And it’s not just about their holiday plans, it’s about seeing them for the first time in 12 months.

The need for extreme caution in the face of an identifiable risk? - Yes.

The need to act on accurate data? - Yes

Did they get it right? - Clearly not

Will they change their tune? - Almost certainly not

Yes and the utterly stupidest(!) thing is that, supposedly because of the Beta variant, the UK requires those coming from France (metropolitan) to isolate, but not those coming from La Réunion!! You really could not make it up - only the UK Gov has the ability to do that(!

chesssfou2 wrote:

"Yes and the utterly stupidest(!) thing is that, supposedly because of the Beta variant, the UK requires those coming from France (metropolitan) to isolate, but not those coming from La Réunion!! You really could not make it up - only the UK Gov has the ability to do that(!".

You don't suppose for one minute that they might just know something you don't?

The Home Office sends people round to check up. They did it twice in four days with us including a Sunday. Failure to be where you said you would be quarantining can lead to a £1500 fine.

It may be that there are derogations for business, for example or lorry drivers.

But the rules may have changes by then.