Police checks on the Pass Sanitaire

NormanH

I have seen it happen twice so far this week, once in a restaurant next to the one I was eating in, and the other time a full 'descent' on the cafés and bars in Les Halles (our indoor market).

I haven't been asked, but my regular haunts are all playing the game and have seen mine anyway.

There might be a bit of politics going on here, since our dear Maire said that there wouldn't be any checks by the Municipal Police ( for which he is responsible and whom he has armed, like a militia) but this is not really in his remit as Maire. It is the business of the Prefet. It made life more difficult for restaurant and café owners too, as customers could say that the Maire had said  etc....

Hence the appearance this week of the Police Nationale to do the checking.

It may be no co-incidence that the first one checked is run by a friend of the Maire [:D]

NB

(Many of you will mainly come across Gendarmes. It towns  of a certain size one hardly ever sees them. Law enforcement is by these two Police forces)

I have to say that a week ago, it was the full ‘ping’ job.

Today, at the market cafe, nobody was bothering. I nagged at Mrs G (yes, even men can nag) to get the pass sanitaires out of her voluminous handbag ........... but even when they eventually emerged, nobody was interested.

Mrs G unimpressed & grumpy.

Overseas travel

If you have activated your Pass Sanitaire in

the TousAntiCovid app, you will also be automatically issued an EU

Health Passport or EU Digital Covid certificate. This is another

scannable QR code available in the ‘My Wallet’ section of the app. This

Passport is required for access to all flights in and around the EU.

source: https://www.frenchentree.com/news/frances-health-pass-pass-sanitaire-everything-you-need-to-know/

Gardian, if you are known in a café and they have previously seen your pass they aren't bothering to check each time, but when we saw the police arrive at the place next door the owner of my 'local' did ask all to make sure we had them ready to show (she knows who has them, and does check anyone she hasn't seen before)

During our week in Toulouse, we were scanned in numerous places without a problem. However, we were scanned to visit the magnificent Chapelle des Carmélites. M et Mme Lehaut no problem, but son had his pass rejected as it had only been 11 days since his second injection. (current rules say 7 days, but her device said 14) The lady doing the scanning said it was not the first time it had thrown up this anomaly, and just ignored it! It only happened in this one place.

Most places are scannig those they do not know (this morning I had a coffee in a place I'd never been, asked and shown, easy enough..  2 gents came in, weren't asked, she must have known them, their coffees arrived without order!).  One resto last week asked if we had the passes, and when we said yes they did not ask to see them! As ever down here, take it as it comes (both towns of varying sizes .. we were also asked in the one resto I have so far used in our village since the pass came in).

I imagine that many of us have had the pass checked in cafés and restaurants (and not in some cases, although I haven't found that myself)

I was posting more about the Police coming to check that the owners were indeed verifying the passes as they are  supposed to..

EU perspective:
We left northern France yesterday morning, drove to Valenciennes to overnight - hotel scanned our passes (which are in our phone) as did the restuarant we went to. No checks at all at two motorway stops although a notice said we should have the passes!
Drove on this morning across Belgium (no checks at the border) and into Germany (again no border checks). Hotel in Cologne checked passports and asked to see passes, then asked for date of second jab to show up - slide across the "border mode" button, which shows when on full screen - and dates appear. Did not actually scan the passes though.  No query at all about maiden name on pass not matching passport.
Onward north again tomorrow to another hotel.