Problems with card.

I'm sure this must have been covered before, so apologise for raising the matter again. I've tried searching the archives but, possibly because I don't really understand satellite TV, can't find the answer. I've even printed an article from another site written by Mazan, but I'm not sure that provides the answer, either!
Some friends who live in France have always paid their subscription for their satellite TV using her sisters UK address. Recently, they had to pay 23.50 for a new card(?), which they did, again, through the UK address. They began using it with no problems, then her sister received a letter from Sky saying that the card wasn't being used at the registered address, and asking for an explanation. They haven't used it since, and don't know what to do, so any advice, or links where I can just print responses, would be most gratefully received.
Maggie

This is only half the story, isn't it?

You say that they have a subscription: in that case they would never have had to buy an FTV card (only these cost 23.50). So are they subscription or free to view?

The only time that I have ever heard of Sky writing to people about use at the registered address is in relation to so-called "mirror" subscriptions whereby for an extra 10 you get a second card with an identical sub, both cards to be used solely at the same address and both boxes connected to the same phone line on a permanent basis. Besides which Sky should never write to people in connection with FTV cards as they are not issued by Sky and in theory Sky do not have access to the FTV card database anyway.

Rest assured that without the phone connection it is totally impossible for Sky to know where cards and boxes are being used. And by totally impossible I really mean totally impossible.