Telephone directories and TV licences

Two questions from a new second home owner:

- I have recently had a phone line installed by France Telecom, does anyone know how I get a copy of the local phone directory and yellow pages? I cannot find any info on their website

- I bought a TV locally and having given my name & address expected a demand to pay for a TV licence. Nothing has arrived so I assume it works some other way. Can anyone help on this?

Many thanks

For the directory try visting your local FT shop, but I have found it can be hard to get one if you miss the annual distribution.

For the TV it can take months for the demand to arrive. But I think I got a form from the Tresor Public when I had an sudden urge to be legalised.

Phone your FT after-sales adviser (should be on the documentation you got with the phone line) and ask for the "annuaire" and the "pages jaunes" for your area. Ours comes in the one book as it is a small area. It's worth fighting for this as there's loads of useful info in the phone book - maps, local government departments, even "who to contact when someone dies."
Chrissie

Our directory just seems to turn up on the doorstep, even though we live in the back of beyond! The shop you bought the TV from will register your name and address with the TV authorities who will duly send you a bill for the licence, in our case almost a year after we moved in!!