Long Term letting to the local Marie

ruedela

I have heard that the local countil will rent private properties for use for council tenants. I understand this is for a ten year period with the council being responsible for getting the tenants, collecting rents and returning the property to its original state after the 10 year period. Can anyone confirm this? Or has anyone had experience of doing this?Or does anyone know of any books on the subject?  I would be most grateful to hear from anyone. Thanks in advance.

I read in the local paper last week that a council near here (Condom, NE Gers) have bought a house that had been empty and up for sale for years. They are going to refurbish it, make it into social housing, and let it out to a gypsy family.

The point of the newspaper story was to publicise the public outcry against the plan.

I don't know if all communes do this though, sounded like a one-off.

There's also something about cancelling taxes F and H on houses that have stood empty for a few years.

[quote user="Tricia"]I read in the local paper last week that a council near here (Condom, NE Gers) have bought a house that had been empty and up for sale for years. They are going to refurbish it, make it into social housing, and let it out to a gypsy family.

The point of the newspaper story was to publicise the public outcry against the plan.

I don't know if all communes do this though, sounded like a one-off.

There's also something about cancelling taxes F and H on houses that have stood empty for a few years.

[/quote]

From La Depeche: Condom le logement des gens du voyage pose problème

The obligations that every commune has to ensure the provision of social housing was recently discussed here. However, in the vast majority of cases, the local council either already owns the houses, or purchases them itself.

I would think it is only likely to sub-let properties in areas where there may be a shortage of housing and that was the only way the council could fulfil its legal obligations.