No responses to my rental requests - what to do ?

Reg55

I posted on two French forums for somewhere for a 6 month rental from around April next year and had no responses. Just been reading about the legislative framework and scare stories and can understand why.

I am even prepared to pay for the 6 months in advance. One question: what can I do to find somewhere ? There has to be a way. Is it better to drive down in April and hunt around there and then, or should I keep looking so far in advance?

This place, english owned, is near us. They might do cheaper rates for longterm lets.

I don't think business is too good at the moment.

Sorry, can't locate the website. If you're interested pm me and I will give you their phone number.

While driving around in France its quite usual to see the sign 'Louer'' on properties which means it is for rent, sometimes its through the local notairs or can be through immobiliers, however the amount of properties for rent is quite large so you shouldn't have much problem.

Thanks June.

This sounds the best bet. Would I need to have any particular documentation prepared in advance, so that we could rent immediately once we found somewhere ?

(sorry to be a pain and I guess some research by myself would tell me, but local up to date advice is invaluable)

[quote user="Reg55"]I posted on two French forums for somewhere for a 6 month rental from around April next year and had no responses. [/quote]

I, for one, am not at all surprised as the particular 6 months you want to rent a property for are the busiest and most lucrative in the property owners year. So, if they can achieve increased rental amounts for these 6 months letting out their properties to holiday makers then why should they rent to you for a - possibly - lower price? Now, if you were wanting a 6 months rental starting 1 Oct til 31 March then you might have a much easier time.

Check this out: here choose your preferred area, followed by 'immobilier' then 'locations' and a postcode - if you know one already.

Sue

I'd agree with Sue. We'd never have taken a long term let over the summer when we can get for a week what a long term let achieves in a month.  I think that could be the problem. Despite what many say, the last two years were our busiest ever and we even increased our prices.

The problem you may find going through an immobilier is that the standard French agreement is 3 years.  Try AngloInfo. They have plenty of available long term lets but I honestly think you'll find it difficult at this particular time of year.

How about a completely different tack?  Many French people let through their local Notaire.  If you put your preferred area into

THIS SEARCH BOX

(you can select English speaking should language be a problem) and see if they have anything on their books.  As they will be drawing up the rental contracts also, they'll be able to advise you how best to do this without an existing French address.  What's more, an English speaking notaire may well have dealt with people in your situation already.

Perhaps my fault for not enquiring of the OP but I assumed that he/she was looking for a short-term furnished let ie a gite, which is why I replied as I did in my post above.

As regards renting an empty property via a notaire or an agent on the normal 3 year lease then it should be remembered that only 3 months notice need be given by the renter at any time during the contract. You might well p** o** the proprietor if you gave 3 months notice to quit after having occupied the property for only 3 months, but there is nothing that they can (legally) do about it.

Sue

• 4 months later...