For those who are easily amused I attach the first posting in the digital spy thread. As far as the friends I have discussed it with £20 to get ITV1, C4 and C5 back for just a year is good value. Compred with £68 for a Punjabi subscription which also gave you the three channels or the US sports network at £75 and the previous cost of a FTV card it looks good value. The great news is apparently there is no need to call SKY after receipt of the card to get it activated.

"I called Sky About Free-Sat

hi just thort some people may benifit from this i called Sky on there special number and to my horror your actually paying £20 for 3 channels ITV1 CHN4 CHN5 thats it in addition no freeview (terestrial) channels have been added and no ex sky contract channels have been added.

so to summerise just dont bother with it as its just a big con at the moment sky are in this game for one thing and that CASH and they have lost customers and Freeview is currently out selling sky so this is there bid to come back with nothing special to offer

allthough it Will benifit people who cannot recieve freeview thanks for reading and i hope this is of great help and use.

let me know your feeling or if anyone knows more than i do about the channels being added?

Thanks Ricky B"

[quote]OK so who here can get Freeview in France ( south of Paris)?[/quote]

Errrr.... You can't. Freeview is the UK terrestrial digital service. This topic is about replacements for the "Solus" cards that stopped at the end of last year. I reckon it is a wait and see situation. £20/year seems a bit of a rip to me....

"This topic is about replacements for the "Solus" cards that stopped at the end of last year. I reckon it is a wait and see situation. £20/year seems a bit of a rip to me...."

Last time Solus cards were issued they cost £23.50, so at least £20 is an improvement.

Baz

[quote]"This topic is about replacements for the "Solus" cards that stopped at the end of last year. I reckon it is a wait and see situation. £20/year seems a bit of a rip to me...." Last time Solus cards ...[/quote]

Thanks that hits the nail on the head for me £ 20 to get ITV1, C4 and C5 is compared to the recent black and grey market good value

The £20 is a "one off" fee, not annually.

Yes you can only get the standard channels  and a lot of dodgy shopping channels but you can also get radio channels with this card

I have a Sky subscription here in UK and was given a second box by a friend to take to our house in France.  I ordered this new card last Saturday and it arrived on Wednesday, only takes 20 minutes to activate by putting into a digibox and leaving switched on (dont need the tv on).  Can get all the terrestrial channels and the news channels - that will do us, only want it to keep up with whats happening in the world in English until our French improves enough to not need the english channels.

Paula

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll find you'll always need the English channels to get any real world news.  It amazes me how the French are so anti-American when they are so alike in many respects - their parochial newscasting being just one similarity!  Thank goodness for BBC News 24!

How right you are. We watch the TF1 news programmes (13.00 and 20.00) most days - including in England via satellite - partly to keep up our linguistic skills.

Certainly one quickly realises that the idea of editorial impartiality is foreign - to this channel at any rate.

I actually heard their financial editor say (last week) that the coming devaluation of the $ was a specific weapon (he used the word "arme") in the economic war "guerre economique" targeted "ciblé" against Europe specifically.

I would have thought the devaluation of the dollar has more to do with economic (mis)management in the states, and it doesn't seem to occur to the French that the dollar will go down against a lot of other world currencies apart from the €. It's not the first time I've heard this idea aired on French radio or TV.

For all it's faults the BBC is a shining example in comparison to this sort of sloppy editorial policy.

Having said that, Le journal de la une (TF1) at 13.00 is the best tourist guide to hidden France I've come across, with its support of all matters related to "la patrimoine". Really excellent stuff.

When I asked a French friend about it, she said that the French liked their news bulletins to be all about French traditions and places of interest rather than world affairs. Hm.......