End of Support for AVG 6.0

Grisoft announces the end of support for AVG version 6.0 effective on
December 31, 2004 for technical reasons. This version has been available
since 1999. It's structure does not allow for further improvements planned
for version 7 nor improvements of detection techniques expected to come in
the future.

End of support means we will no longer provide program updates or Virus
Database updates for version 6.0 and therefore, within days, this version
will not protect against new virus outbreaks!

Current AVG 6.0 users should upgrade to AVG 7.0. Information on upgrading
to version 7.0 can be found at http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_upgrade.php.
- October 25, 2004 -

If you are a registered user of the free version of AVG6.0 you can upgrade to AVG7.0 for free

cajal

"If you are a registered user of the free version of AVG6.0 you can upgrade to AVG7.0 for free"

Cajal,
I have been using the free version of AVG 6.0 for the last few months and I am very pleased with it. However, your statement above is causing me some confusion as I am unable to find any upgrades to AVG7.0 as it appears you would have had to be registered before 20 October 2003. Perhaps, you could guide me to the correct page.

Many thanks

Baz

[quote]Just had a look and it doesn't say anything about having to upgrade the Free edition on this pagehttp://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/I think it would if there was a problem.[/quote]

Unfortunately Gay it does on Grisoft's home page.

To get AVG 7.0 Free edition, you follow the instructions given on the page that Gay has given the link to above.
In that way you will still receive your free antivirus protection.

Are they not saying, try Version 7 at your own risk and help us to see how we have done so far but if you want to wait, it will be available at the end of testing, free anyway, on or before 30.11.04?

From AVG page :

Important notice: This Beta version of AVG Free Edition will expire 11/30/2004. By this time, the final version of this product will be available for your free download.

Important notice: This is a Beta version of the product. This release may not be fully functional and may contain errors and bugs. By downloading this Beta version you acknowledge and understand that you are voluntarily taking a risk by installing the SW on your computer. You are responsible for the proper backup of your important data, monitoring the proper functionality of this product and checking for the newest updates as they become available.

THIS RELEASE OF AVG FREE EDITION BETA VERSION IS AVAILABLE FOR A LIMITED NUMBER OF DOWNLOADS AND FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY! FUTURE RELEASES MAY APPEAR ON THIS PAGE. THE FINAL RELEASE OF AVG FREE EDITION WILL BE GENERALLY AVAILABLE FOR FREE DOWNLOAD SOON.

cajal,

Please try posting in smaller text you have made it rather all too large on my computer now !!

I think I shall wait to download 7, once the free testers have done their "free work" and the bugs and glitches are down to a minimum.

I do not know if I am confused or not reading the information correctly. I am already using free AGV6.0 and when trying to load AGV7.0 it is in fact loading AGV6.0. Is it that the free version AGV7.0 will not be available until about 30 November?

Baz
PS. I agree with Miki's comment to Cajal, by posting at that size is very inconvenient as it is too large for normal settings.

Either way you should all now be aware that there are imminent changes in the pipeline so to keep up to date it may be prudent to visit the Grisoft site regularly to check on the progress.

Please try posting in smaller text you have made it rather all too large on my computer now !!

Everything appears normal on my screen.

cajal

Either I am being very dense or the version they are stopping sign ups to is Version 7 Beta 1, they are just about to release Version 7 Beta 2. I can't see anywhere that it says Version 6 will be no longer available after XXXX date.

Frankly AVG has stood me in good stead for several years and I think they are a responsible company who would not want a lot of non techie users down loading a Beta version - it wouldn't do their reputation any good!

If they wanted to convert all those users of the FREE product into paying customers no doubt they would make it christal clear and let us all know, probably via a download or alert.

Fingers crossed!

Baz - I really wouldn't download the beta version, unless you are more confident you can deal with the glitches.

Cajal - Thanks for the 'heads up' but I have to scroll right and left several times to read your messages, could you adjust your type size please ?

Edit - It may appear normal on your screen but you are using a type size 36, when most others are between 10 - 14 !!!!

To clarify the situation with AVG, I have received an email from AGV UK which explains what is happening and I have reproduced it below:

"Thank you for your email and interest in AVG Anti-Virus.

Support for AVG 6.0 will be terminated on 31st December 2004. This is due to technical reasons. This version has been available since 1999. It's structure does not allow for further improvements planned for version 7 nor improvements of detection techniques expected to come in the future.

All Paid users will get a FREE upgrade to AVG 7. Please see www.grisoft.com/us/us_upgrade.php.

We do not plan to stop providing AVG FREE and users should keep checking back to our website for some exiting news in the next few weeks."

So it means do not do anything and just watch their site over the next couple of months...Panic over
Baz

• 3 weeks later...

[quote]I have downloaded the new edition, but on the old one I had it set up so that it automatically updated at 11am each day, how do I do that with the new one?I usually update manually when I switch on th...[/quote]

Gay,
Open up "AVG Contol Centre" then click on "Test Centre" and then click "Scheduler" 

Under Scheduled Tasks, highlight "Test Plan in Basic Mode" click "Edit" then enter the time you want. Repeat the same as above by highlighting "Update Plan Mode" and entering the time you want.

I hope this works for you it did for me.

Baz

Thanks Baz, I have edited the update but this version gives a time band rather than a specific time. I used to be able to see it flicker on, check, and go off - I'll look out for it tomorrow !

Has anyone worked out what the new version does that the old one didn't ? (or not, as the case maybe)

Hi,

Well I have updated as well today and apart from a different look to some of the control centre etc I get the following message with most of the incoming emails now.

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.289 / Virus Database: 265.0.0 - Release Date: 08/11/2004

Not a problem but does anyone else get this message at the bottom of each message with the new upgrade ? It also indicates, possibly due to the message below, that there is an attachment with the email but the only thing that is there (apart from the email message) is the message above from AVG.

Any ideas ?

The new AVG also found a few old virus's in my system and put them in the new look vault , none terrible but..................

[quote]I get that, and a small oblong box pops up from the toolbar on the right when I first log on to my email.Some other people I know somehow had this on their email before (with version6) I just assumed ...[/quote]

Snap ! Half scared me to bits as I had been cutting the grass and blowing leaves in to piles and so hadn't picked up my email for 5 or 6 hours or so and that "thing" was dancing up and down like a whirling dervish as a whole big pile of spam and other emails came in !!

Still haven't plucked up the courage to load Windows XP 2 service pack, even though I had a CD sent direct from the M/S internet site (with a Dutch postage franking on the front !)

Conflicting reports from everywhere at the moment !