How to best attach..?

Hello

I was wondering if someone could inform me:

which is the best way to attach a booking form to an email?

A Word attachement can easily be edited, so no to that...

I have thought of a PDF file, but it does seem to take an age to send it to myself (as a test), even compressed, so I presume it would take as long for someone else to receive it...

What is the solution? Would it be better to create a PDF download link from the website page?

Thanks in advance

Clair

[quote]HelloI was wondering if someone could inform me:which is the best way to attach a booking form to an email?A Word attachement can easily be edited, so no to that... I have thought of a PDF file, but i...[/quote]

Does it really need to be a Word document? A lot of companies don't let their employees receive .doc as they can contain viruses / macros, etc. If you wanted to use .doc the best way would be to zip it.

PDF are more useful as they can be easily read on any operating system and the acrobat reader is free, although you are assuming that the recipient will have it or bother to download it when presented with a .pdf ... and the file sizes can be huge even with compression if there are graphics included.

Why not just plain ordinary text? You could put it in the body of the email rather than attach it, and even those of us who only receive plain text emails can read it

I've had several booking forms in the body of emails as text, and it's by far the easiest way as you don't have to worry about file types and downloading attachments - just print from the mail client.

"KISS" as they are fond of telling you every time you go on a training course

We send the Booking Form as a .rtf (rich text format) file, which can be opened by most WP software, even very old versions of Word or Works. The Booking Form page can also be printed out from our website.

We don't consider it a problem that the form can be edited, as following the practice of the Exhibition industry in which I formerly worked, the form is simply an application to rent the cottage for a specified period, not a contract in itself. No contract is deemed to exist until the owner of the gite accepts the application, which of course you wouldn't if they had altered it, for example, to show a lower rate or a longer rental term.

I believe this is known legally as an "Invitation to Treat", which sounds fun, but which simply means you have the option not to accept the application if you do not like anything about it, such as the fact they have altered the booking form. The nature of this process needs to be spelled out clearly in your Terms and Conditions, which, together with your written confirmation of acceptance, constitutes the contract.

I hope this is of some help. No-one has ever tried anything on yet, anyway. And if they did, I think we would take the line I usually took in business with not-very-nice people - sue us then, if you really think you're tough enough. No-one ever did.

Patrick