Getting a dot fr

The rules for registering a .fr domain name have recently changed. for those that are interested in doing it legally the rules are as follows.:

France

Registration is restricted to 4 types of entities:

(1) Companies registered in France.

(2) Companies registered outside France but possessing a registered trademark matching the domain name and with jurisdiction in France. E.g. A company named XYZ Company Ltd wishing to register xyzcompany.fr would need to possess 'XYZ company' as a trademark in order to be elligible.

(2) Individuals residing in France.

(3) Individuals of French nationality residing outside France.

A faxed copy of the companies Kbis may be required if the company is French.

The domain name must be identical to the company name as on the Kbis, or to a registered trademark with jurisdiction in France.

If registering a domain identical to a trademark, a faxed copy of the trademark document must be supplied.

Hope this helps anyone who is interested.

By the way it's typically around £90pa to keep a .fr registered depending on the company you register through.

Hi

just worth saying :

I was discussing this with a French company recently. Their view was that although dot com was cheaper & easier, French nationals viewed a dot FR site as being of a more reliable, more up market nature.

And I guess if you are French, use a search engine, and select "French websites" then dot FR is important.

Peter

Yes, OK if you want to market to the French or francophone countries, but I reckon dotcom implies a greater degree of "internationality" and relieves any worries among non-French potential clients, which most of ours are, that you might only speak French.

Personally I think, even though I speak French and live in France, I would respond to a .com more readily than to a .fr if the two came up together on a search.

Patrick