accents on a UK keyboard

if you are using Word for word processing go to 'Insert' on the toolbar, scroll down and click on 'symbol'.  you'll find individual letters with appropriate accents you can insert into your text by clicking on the letter you want then going to the bottom of the window and clicking on insert.  i realise this isn't the same as making them immediately available on the keyboard but may help.

Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System tools. The Character Map is second down or so. Right click on it. Choose create shortcut to place on your desktop. You can then 'drag' it onto the taskbar. You need to use number lock to use the alt codes or utilise copy&paste.

You can also go to this site to get a list you can print out. Similar to the one that Time posted above...

Firstly Time this is not intended to be a criticism, but so many helpful people like yourself kindly give websites that need to be copied and pasted. In case anyone does not know there is create a hyperlink icon at the top of the Post Reply page 3rd from the right on the top line that looks like a globe and glasses. All that is required is to enter www address and ok and then everyone can just click on it. Here is Time's link

http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm

I hope this is useful help to all concerned

Baz

like so many people, I'm having problems with the pile of steaming canine detrious that this forum has become, thus I can't see the silly sod with glasses and a globe. This prevents me from insterting the link as it should be. Sorry, but thats the way it goes.

Until such a time as the forum is standardised on a cross-browser basis, you'll have to put up with un-clickable links.

Tim

Good point Tim, I had forgotten that some of you are still having problems. Being no computer buff I cannot understand why  some have problems and others do not, unless some peoples computer settings do not allow complete access to this site. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Baz

If you need accent characters, and you're writing in French using Microsoft Word, why not just click on 'Tools' then select 'Language' then choose the 'French France' option, and save the page as a Template entitled 'French'. Then, everything you need is immediately available whenever to open a new document using the template, including french spell and grammar check.