Which digibox?

We are now the proud possessors of a Sky freesat card (thanks to whoever it was who posted about these on LF) but, as yet, have no box to put it in.

Can anyone advise which box we should think about and where we should get it from? We do not want to subscribe to Sky itself, we just want to watch the free channels via satellite.

Many thanks

Sue

I bid for ours on ebay.

I think the vendor was a guy that re-conditions them as he gave 12months guarantee and is often selling on ebay.

50quid plus carriage seems to be about the going rate.

Mine's a Grundig 2000 and it works a treat in Creuse 23 with a 60cm sky dish, purchased for cash from the back of the van of an installer in UK.

Easily set up in about a couple of hours, following advice from www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk.

The longest part of the job was tacking the cable tidily around the door-frame and inside the salon. 

[quote]Thanks for that cabman: the 'satellite for caravans' site looks promising with regard to information and instructions. As regards the box I will have a look on ebay - but frankly the thought of buyi...[/quote]

If you are not permenantly in France. Find a friend with a Sky instalation and pay a small amount extra in the UK for somebody to sell a digibox they can prove works.

If you are permenantly in France check put one of the other forums and or ads in local suopermarkets for a digibox which seller can prove is working.

Post Sky Plus TVR and FTA card change they should be relatively cheap. Where are you in france ?

Hi,

I have left you a message in your inbox

Regards

Richard

Thanks to everyone for their replies - they have been most helpful. 

Thanks LL: will look at 'simply digital' asap.

Anton R - we are not in France yet, but are trying to get stuff sorted re most things, including satellite, before we go.

Sue

edit: Richard - you posted while I was writing my reply - will look you up - thanks

Hello, have just joined the discussion.This is exactly one of the things I am looking for. Although our place in the Haute Vienne hs an aerial, it will not work with my tele - this this cos its British or something. So can one of those digiboxs (from a local British well known food store that wants to now sell electrical things as well) for around £50 work in France? Sorry am ok on building/decoration and plumbing just the electrical/tele side not too sure on. There is a local site advertised near us as bigdishsat.com but I cannot get through to them - have tried for months.

Thank you to all.

[quote]Hello, have just joined the discussion.This is exactly one of the things I am looking for. Although our place in the Haute Vienne hs an aerial, it will not work with my tele - this this cos its Britis...[/quote]

No, that's a Freeview box for the UK terrestrial digital service. Forget it, it will never work in France.

This discussion is about digital satellite boxes, or you could buy a French TV to plug into your aerial (but French TV is worse that Brit TV, so why would you want to?

Nick, Keni here, thanks for explaining that bit - and to others. I have tried the aerial, but it doesn't work, so how do I get this SKy card thingy then? I know the TV is bad but when you have a teenage misery in tow in winter a sky box might be the best answer!