Can anybody offer some advice on payment of the 'redevance audiovisuelle' please.

Initially we took a british tv over to France as we only wanted it for playing videos and dvds while we there.  Unfortunately it exploded during our second stay so we decided to buy a small portable in France.  I really wish we hadnt because we are now being pursued for payment of the redevance audioviselle which amounts to 159euros.  It really isnt worth us paying it for as much as its used and we cannot get a reception for french tv at the moment.  I thought we might be able to get a reduced bill for the fact that my husband is registered blind but apparently this only applies if it is your main residence (which it isnt).

Does anybody know whether they will accept me now writing to say that we have taken the tv back to the UK?  Only they seem to be bombarding me with bills followed by red bills as if its a compulsory payment.

Would be most grateful for any advice or any experiences that other people might have had on the forum.

Carole (87)

You need a licence if you have, in the house, any apparatus capable of receiving a television signal...

A PC with a television card needs licencing, even if there is no tv in the house. If you watch dvds on a dedicated box or PC ..no licence!

There was somthing in today's news, watching streamed TV on a broadband computer is a grey area, there has not been a test case yet to prove whether a licence is needed or not.

Whatever you do they are out to get you!

Mike

I have always understood that ownership of a TV, even if it was not working required a license.

However recently a friend who has an English TV for playing videos argued that as she was not receiving a signal to watch TV she was not liable to pay. They accepted and she doesn't have to pay.

It all seems a very grey area and Im not sure whether to go down the route with the authorities on the grounds of 'not receiving a signal' (even though we have a receiver that doesnt pick up) or whether to block it by saying the tv was brought back to the UK (which I would do rather than pay the fee for not receiving anything).  I just feel rather persecuted by red demands for a poxy £100 portable tv I bought to keep the children amused with videos while we do the diy .

You know that feeling you get with authorities that once they have you on their database.......

Carole (87)

[quote]It all seems a very grey area and Im not sure whether to go down the route with the authorities on the grounds of 'not receiving a signal' (even though we have a receiver that doesnt pick up) or wheth...[/quote]

If I were you I'd just pay up and forget about it.  You don't want to draw anymore attention from the authorities to yourselves than you have to.  It's just not worth the hassle. You'll be billed for it next year as part of your taxe d'habitation anyway, regardless,  as I've been told TV livences are being phased out.  We did the same, bought a cheapo portable, and ended up with a bill. 

They'll catch you anyway.  We have a friend who bought one while staying in a hotel, they moved twice, once to rented and then bought a house and the bill still reached them at their final permanent address.   Big Brother is watching you!!

It's the that you have a TV even if it's only for videos rather than whether you receive a signal or not that triggers it, much like in the UK.

This is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' subjects! In theory, yes, you need a license. In practice it depends on whether the person at the end of the line when you request an annulement has PMT or not!!!

My tax form clearly states that as I do not pay tax, I am allowed not to pay the license fee; so I didn't. Red bill upon red bill followed until they finally contacted me to say that as a kind favour, they'd let me off!

As someone mentioned, it became part of the taxe d'habitation this year (which I also don't pay), so I suspect they'll make you fork out in the end...if you French is VERY good, it might be worth arguing the toss, but knowing fonctioneires here, I doubt it.

I tried to pay the license having already had the TV for two years (had one of those guilt trip days) - downloaded the form of the web and sent to the centre in Toulouse.

Got a polite letter back saying that since it is all part of of Taxe D'habitation next year (this year) it didn't concern them anymore.

Hagar

Thanks very much for all your responses for me to mull over.  Im tempted to try just one more letter pleading to their sense of justice and then pay up.  I hadnt realised that it becomes part of the tax d'habitation next year anyway so I guess Im only paying one year in advance of having to.

All this bureacracy x two countries

Carole

We had a flurry of correspondence with the Audiovisuel brigade a couple of years ago. The long and the short of it is that even if you have an English TV that is completely unable to pick up the French Channels and even if you only use it for videos, you need to buy a licence.

No sis or maises......

We've coughed up ever since....

Nick