E mail attachments.

Hi everyone

Nothing to do with France but suddenly I cant open any attachments within Hotmail.

I get a message saying" cannot find site 12.3.45.678, it may be busy or have a fault. Please try later"    This has been happening over a week or so now.

Anybody got any suggestions.

Thanks

John & Sue (50)

Hi Choochoo (Sue/John?)

Can you save the attachments and then open them?

You could also try sending yourself a mail with an attachment to see if you can open it.

Also, do you have access to another computer?  If so, log into Hotmail and try to open the attachments there instead. 

Hotmail have recently changed their automatic attachment virus scanner, and this does seem to be causing people problems at the moment, especially with forwarded attachments

Hope this helps

Hi Cat46

Actually were both Garden Railway fans (get it -choochoo) so its whoevers on line, it was John that time.

I have tried to save and then open,that doesnt work either, I will try Baz Idea.

Thanks to all for your help.

John

John, sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I have a nasty feeling that you can only use Outlook to access Hotmail if you pay a subscription. They moved the goalposts late last year.

People already using Outlook for Hotmail can still do so for free, until April, but not new users

[quote]John, sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I have a nasty feeling that you can only use Outlook to access Hotmail if you pay a subscription. They moved the goalposts late last year. People alre...[/quote]

Cathy, I am totally confused about your posting as both Outlook Express and Hotmail are part of MSN. Also I have very recently had to set up again Outlook Express to read my Hotmail with no problems at all and certainly no charges. All info on OE shows that Hotmail is totally compatable without any charges.

It would be very helpful if you could let me know where you obtained this information as OE is an intregal part of me email set up.

Baz

[quote]Cathy, I am totally confused about your posting as both Outlook Express and Hotmail are part of MSN. Also I have very recently had to set up again Outlook Express to read my Hotmail with no problems a...[/quote]

Hi Baz

I remembered reading something in Computer Weekly ...

http://www.computerweekly.com/Article133720.htm

Had a bit of a search, and this is what the horses mouth had to say about Microsoft Lookout

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;878462

(Edited original posting to include Hotmail Help topic link)

http://help.msn.com/!data/en_gb/data/HotmailPIMv10.its51/$content$/PIM_TROU_NoFreeDAV.htm  )

Hope this won't change anything for you, Hotmail is being a right swine at the moment

Cathy, many thanks for you informative and speedy reply. I am very disappointed  that Microsoft are taking this action especially as it was such a useful alternative with the problems at times with Hotmail. Hotmail has got so popular that logging and using the system especially when USA wakes up, that Microsoft have found another way of adding money to their already bulging coffers.

Baz

The changes at hotmail are part of Bill Gates promise to eliminate Spam emails within the next two years.

For my money, it would be worth it to get rid of all this rubbish in my inbox!