Does anyone use a "onduleur" (Uninterrupted Power Supply or UPS)?

This was brought up to my attention when I went to an ADSL info meeting in our village yesterday. The chap there had a few bits and pieces to show in connection with protecting a PC whilst online and offline.

I had thought these would be costly (several hundred €), addressed more to businesses and that a home computer user would have to run to his computer to disconnect everything before a storm(! which is what I have done so far!... when at home)

Anyway, they had several models to show ranging from €70 to €200+ (HT).

I was not ready to make a decision until I had done more research into it away from the pressure of a salesperson, hence this message.

Do you use one? What type is it? Do you need the "close programs" software?

Any comment welcome

Many thanks in advance

Jules

[quote]Does anyone use a "onduleur" (Uninterrupted Power Supply or UPS)?This was brought up to my attention when I went to an ADSL info meeting in our village yesterday. The chap there had a few bits and pie...[/quote]

I use an "ellipse 500 MGS Systems", bought from "BUT" at a reasonable cost works well we have had several power cuts whilst using the computer and everything still works ok for about 15- 20 mins, depends what you have connected to it I have monitor computer, printer and a light, I would not be without it, no special software to run 

Yes - we got 2 from Aldi, only about 60€ each. They are called IPEL Evolution. They seem to work very well, have solved a recurring problem of fuse blowing when split-second power cuts occur (as they do here), and we have far fewer inexplicable crashes.

After you've installed it you can download some free software from the manufacturer's site that enables your computer to close down safely and totally automatically if a power cut goes on for long enough to reduce the onduleur's battery capacity to danger level.

An interesting feature is that this software will give you a continuous readout of the mains voltage which can vary here from 230+ to 180V or less. In spite of this the unit's output varies only within a a reasonably narrow band.

I would say well worth the money. They've probably saved us a couple of power unit burn-outs in the time we've had them, not to mention all the hassle and bother of fuse changing, re-booting, sorting out crashes, etc.

Patrick

Well worth buying if your mains are a bit ropey, I keep my adsl, router, wifi on ups, Stops these mini switching blips from rebooting the adsl modem! Note - look at the connection that links to the computer to close it down, many still have a 7 pin serial link that a modern computer may not have.

Mike

I run two, one for each major machine. They not only protect the PC, accessories and modem/telephone from lightning, but also protect from power drops which are damaging and much more common than surges (I have had more than 20 on a very cold day when electricity usage is high).

The PC and monitor should be plugged into the battery part, some UPS allow the other accessories to also be plugged into this, mine do not, they are plugged into the same box but have a high level of surge and power protection. This means I protect 5 pieces of equipment and a phone line for each box plus have an extended time to close the PC down when the power fails.

No business should be without one (or two) or anyone who does not want to have to replace their equipment due to storm or power drop damage.

A word of caution. I once spent a small fortune on a professional UPS. It had a battery failure after a few months so I raided the bank and bought another battery (nearly £100 and they are not covered by the guarantee).  This then failed under a year. I have had my two 'home' versions for nearly two years and they cost about £75 each so already I have made a profit, have protected the equipment from the frequent power dips and have 10 protected sockets instead of the 6 I previously had.