liste orange or chamois

does anyone know the difference between these 2 options?

I think the liste rouge is a little extreme for our needs as we still want our number published in the directory, but obviously don't want marketing calls from companies.

I've had a look on the FT website but it's a little confusing!!

Liste chamois means you are not listed in the phone book, whereas liste orange means they do not sell your phone number to marketing companies. I went for liste orange, it has meant I have had less calls, although not none, this may not be France Telecom's fault, as I know my phone number could be sold by other companies. I have been happy with liste orange, rouge seemed too drastic as it means that emergency services might not beable to locate you as easily and also means that the 3131 does not work for other people and as my mother in law loves 3131 and refuses to get an answering machine, this seemed cruel...!

Am I missing out on something that 3131 does. Mine only gives the last unanwsered number. Unlike 1471 of whatever it is, which gives the last call number, answered or not.

I haven't taken either of these options, but get upety with cold callers.

[quote]The French being what they are good at....out of line with others...this is the only country I live in that charges for having an unlisted number.[/quote]

The 3 services are free and can be taken up from FT website: http://www.agence.francetelecom.com

section votre ligne, les services compris

Liste orange is if you don't want any marketing calls.

Liste chamois is if you don't want to be listed in the annuaire.

Liste rouge will do both and also prevent your number being given out by directory enquiries. Despite the scary looking advice shown on FT's website, it will NOT stop emergency services from contacting you, but it will prevent any Joe Bloggs from getting your number "in case of emergency".

Secret permanent will stop your number being displayed or redialled from 3131.

I used to be on liste orange when FT used to charge for liste rouge, then went on liste rouge when it became free.

I have NEVER received any marketing call.

Marketing companies can get your number even if you're on the liste orange, as the annuaires can be purchased by anyone. So any personne listed there is a target. The only garantee you'll have is that FT will not have SOLD your number directly to them...

[quote]Thanks Clair..hadn't realised that it had become free...never check phone bill![/quote]

FT never advertised the change and I only found out by chance on their website.

There are quite a few useful services you can subscribe to free of charge. Worth a look at...