My tenant

Mr Coeur de Lion

The contact person on my site is the English agent I have listed the house with. He's been great, even going round and trying to get access. My tenant has been polite, and still occasionally sends me polite emails, but never responds to my questions.

I am friends with his ex girlfriend, I may ask her to do some digging for me, find out what he is playing at.

We had similar trouble, though in the UK, when we were selling our house while we were living in France. The selling agents had keys to the front door, but the letting agent had failed to give them a copy of the porch door key, so the tenants would lock that, thus stopping any visits. We had to get VERY firm with the letting agent before visits could commence. Luckily, the tenants moved out just as we got a buyer, and things proceded swiftly after that.

Difficult situation for you at such a distance. Good luck with sorting it.

Our tenancy agreement expressly states that the locataires must provide access for at least 2 hours per working day for viewings during the last 2 months of the tenancy. What does yours say?

Mind you, it also said the tenants should pay their rent - which they haven't for 5 months - and leave the house in the same state they found it - they left it uninhabitable. It also says they are responsible for the costs of recovering unpaid rent - nope, can't enforce that one either according to our avocat - From where I'm standing it seems that whatever is written down and agreed is not even worth the paper it's written on and absolutely nothing can be enforced without the consent of a juge - megabucks

Don't be tempted to pay him a visit or send anyone else. It will only reflect badly on you. Good lucki

[quote user="thepenofmyaunt"]Our tenancy agreement expressly states that the locataires must provide access for at least 2 hours per working day for viewings during the last 2 months of the tenancy. What does yours say? Mind you, it also said the tenants should pay their rent - which they haven't for 5 months - and leave the house in the same state they found it - they left it uninhabitable. It also says they are responsible for the costs of recovering unpaid rent - nope, can't enforce that one either according to our avocat - From where I'm standing it seems that whatever is written down and agreed is not even worth the paper it's written on and absolutely nothing can be enforced without the consent of a juge - megabucks Don't be tempted to pay him a visit or send anyone else. It will only reflect badly on you. Good lucki[/quote] 

So what you are saying is that you can't do anything at all? Sorry Auntie if someone was ripping me off I would ignore your advice out of hand. Let people take liberty's and they will walk all over you. It looks to me as though Richards tenant is messing him around as he knows that Richard is a long way away, and of course as Idun said earlier; winter is approaching and the "tenant" sees a way of not paying any rent. Would be interesting to know whether the "tenant" has paid his rent up to now?

• 3 weeks later...
Update:

He has been still paying me rent and he is up to date on it.

He informs me he hopes to be out by the end of the month but is still looking for somewhere.

I have a very interested viewer driving up from Portugal next Wednesday to look at the house and he is allowing access.

So hopefully, all being well... fingers crossed all round.

Richard,

I know the law about this, because in the past I had to call ADIL for the same reasons.

A tenant HAS TO ( that s the law) let people, ( whether potential buyers or agents ) visit the house, as long as he is informed of this at least two days before the visit .

You can sell a house while there's a tenant in it, but the new owner will not be able to live in it until the lease is over. ( is your lease 3 years, as in most cases??)

In case of a sale, you have to send a lettre recommandée to your tenant, informing him about the sale, 6 months before the end of the lease. This protects the tenant, who will then have 6 months to leave the place, look for a new place to rent.

In the case of a sale in which the new owner has no intention to live in the house, then the bail can be renewed. Thus, the tenant will just change owner.

So, you see, you can OBLIGE him to give access to the house if a vistor ( potential buyer) shows up. That's the law.

No more than a certain number of visits a day. ( think it s 2, but I can check). One day out of two at the week ends. . ( same thing .)

Hope this helps.

Mr Lion Heart, I gave you the link to ANIL, which would link you to ADIL, the 'N' being Nationale and the 'D' being departmental.

They are very good, maybe you should contact them anyway. November is almost upon us and you are simply relying on old friendship and good will.

What can I say, good luck and I hope that it all works out well and you sell.

[quote user="Frenchie"][quote user="idun"]

They are very good, maybe you should contact them anyway. November is almost upon us and you are simply relying on old friendship and good will.

[/quote]

Meaning ?

[/quote]

It just takes a grain of stardust to change a brit tenant into a brit squatter!

As long as that tenant is paying the rent , he is not a squatter.

I guess he has a lease, very probably a 3 year one.

He has to let the potential buyers visit the house if he is given a two day notice (minimum ), but as long as he is paying, he is entitled to stay in that house until the end of the lease, whether sold or not.

I think what Idun and Chancer are pertaining to is that he's waiting out til November and will stay in the house rent free until spring. They're looking at worst case and to be honest I have had fears along those lines too.

Despite my difficulties with him, I think he is on the level, he is just a very poor communicator.

We've given 3 months notice to leave our rented property but, should our new house not be ready for us to move into, am I understanding this correct that legally the owner cannot make us leave on that date (should be 24 Dec), as we asked if we could stay on month by month if necessary.

We pay the rent on time and the agents have requested that during the next 3 months the house and garden is clean and tidy (we don't live in a pig sty, I like to think we have a hygienically clean abode) in case they want to show new prospective tenants around. We assumed that it has to be left in the condition we found it on the day we move out, so was a bit put out by this request.

We have areas of mould where there is damp, is this something we should repair or the landlord? We have reported it but nothing has been done.

Another question - if we are ready to move out in 2 months rather than 3 do we still have to pay for 3 months, or just 2?

Our contract is for a year - Nov to Nov but giving 3 months means we are here a month longer than the year.

Sorry to hijack your thread

Had the inspection, but no go, the woman didn't like it.

So we continue on, but they would have bought at the asking price which is at least some comfort.

Have been told the house is in good condition, although looks lived in (as it would with a tenant), so my fears of a destroyed house have been allayed.

Hope I get a buyer soon.