Thanks Derf - I let it scan and it came up with all sorts of horrors, but then said I had to install the paying version of the software in order to get rid of it - after 2 hours of scanning too

I have a 'man' coming tomorrow (to fix it) if he can't I will try again.(and pay before I start)

[quote]I have got this awful 'trojan' horse I just seem to get rid of it, I have looked at the AVG forum but I am not clear about 'cleaning the disc' and CW shredder is a mystery, but Ad aware and Spybot are...[/quote]

What detected that you had the Trojan ? (what virus detector, spyware detector, etc. reported you had it).

I had this on my PC I use AVG freeware and I just clicked on the clean or delete icon after running or scan or when a warning comes.

You could search for the file and delete it manually as well if you wanted.

Bob

I am a big fan of AVG, it identified Optimizer .exe. but wouldn't/couldn't heal it, just moved it to the vault.

There is a long and intimidating set of instructions on how to get rid of it on the AVG forum, but I am a little nervous of them.

The guy who comes when I have computer 'issues' is going to take the computer away to clean it when I have a few days free ( I have a project going for the next 3 weeks and can't be without it)unless I can sort it out meantime.