Just got my uk mobile bill , as I spent alot of time in France last month , it is huge..would it be better for me to get a pay as you go french mobile to phone home with? Any ideas gratefully received!

I have recently bought a new french sim card from http://www.0044.co.uk/index.htm  , for my English mobile which saves a fortune on calls in france and calls received from the UK and France as you do not pay for incoming calls. I know this may not help with the cost of calls to the UK but as Mikki said it is 'pay as you go' and at least you can monitor the amount you are spending on your calls to the UK.

Buying A French SIM card will certainly be cheaper if you are making a lot of calls.

However bear in mind the trap that credits on French PAYG cards expire if not used up within a fixed timeframe which varies from a week for a ten euro card , to 4 months for a 95 Euro top-up. So for real emergency use only an english mobile can still be a better bet.

As far as www.0044.co.uk is concerned, they seem to be offering a standard SFR SIM Card at £30 plus postage, which sounds like the same thing that can be  bought in any SFR outlet for 30 Euros. Or is this some special beastie of theirs with the time constraint removed?

The card that I bought included 6Euros worth of calls and about 20 text messages. I only top up with 10 Euros at a time, which won't be to difficult to use up in the time limit. The saving is on incoming calls, no charges now from other french mobiles and the safeguard of not overspending

Ronni,

Most of the UK mobile networks offer some sort of international call discount scheme.  You don’t say which network you’re with, but as an example O2 who I’m with have “International Traveller Service” (ITS) which makes receiving and making calls when abroad a lot cheaper.

ITS is free on O2-200 or higher tariffs and £2.99 a month on lower tariffs.

The difference in call costs (per minute) is:

Standard Charges

International Traveller Service

Calling back to UK

£0.85

£0.58

Receiving a Call

£0.94

£0.28

Calling In Country

£0.85

£0.58