activation of adsl internet

we have signed up for a phone line with FT which they assured us would be activated this saturday gone. so now I thought I'd try and set up the internet.  we have been advised by our neighbours to use tele2 but I've also been looking at tiscali.  does anyone know how long it would take for our phone number to be recognised so we can sign up for internet?

does any one know how much the activation cost for tiscali would be?  they seem to cost about the same in the long run so I was wondering if anyone had good/ bad experience of ease of set up and use and also disconnection?

we've also seen these boxes that can be bought at the supermarkets with the modems in - are they more expensive or the same as signing up over the internet?

I would check on http://www.degrouptest.com/ (sorry, you’ll have to cut and paste the link) to see who can actually provide you what speeds. Depending on where you live, not all ISP can provide a service (or all speeds) and the costs can vary.

With regard to phone line activation, mine was very quick (a day or so), but that is only my personal experience and I’m sure times vary.

I went with Wanadoo (the only ISP who could provide a service to my rural location when ADSL arrived). I got an Ethernet ADSL modem from them for €10 and paid no connection fee, though I did need to commit to a min 1year contract.

[quote]I would check on http://www.degrouptest.com/ (sorry, you’ll have to cut and paste the link) to see who can actually provide you what speeds. Depending on where you live, not all ISP can provide a ser...[/quote]

both tel2 and tiscali offered us adsl but after we choose tiscali had to cancel contract as our ft line cannot support adsl  we still have escargot mail and ft say maybe next year for adsl no promisses yet a commune 2 k down the road has it we have spent 6 months trying and are no farther forward so very good luck but get comfirmation of service  in writing before you sign as it cost us 3 months rental to break contract...........mojo

Can someone explain what this means?

"Les offres non-dégroupées sont accessibles à l'ensemble des FAI français pour les abonnés non dégroupés. "

When I checked degrouptest every single box said 'Impossible' even though some parts of the commune have ADSL, but this seemed to be a way - except I don't understand what they mean by grouped.

Borrowing one of my old posts.....

In most ADSL areas you will have a choice of suppliers. In the main centres of population  it is economic for some providers  to have their own networks (degrouped networks) which allow a wider choice of faster and or cheaper packages which usually include phone as well as net services. In the rural areas they just buy capacity wholesale and retail their own services using the FT network. You will probably find all the usual suspects Tele2, Cegetel, Wanadoo, Tiscali will be available.

So if ADSL is available you will always get the standard offers but in the degrouped areas you can get better packages.

thanks for the degroup test website, I entered my details and it came up with this reponse:

Le test France Telecom ne répond pas

Vérifiez que le numéro est bien attribué et réessayez plus tard ... en attendant vous pouvez tester l'IP ADSL

does this mean that FT haven't set my line up yet or that it takes a while for it to be recognised with the internet companies?

has anyone got Tiscali? how much was the set up?

I know we can definitely get Tele2 in our town as my neighbour has it, but I guess I was just hoping the system would be quicker.........then again this is France!!