Yesterday my ADSL connection broke down - my Freebox showed a row of flashing PPPs where the time usually is.

Reconnecting didn't work so I left it until this morning and when I re-connected the box it went back to normal.

Does the connection often break down? or is it just me?

It happens when the line is disconnected at the exchange (you would not normally know your line was down unless you went to use it) or when there is an interruption to the power supply. Very rarely the box will lock up on PPP, if it does unplug it from the power and then reconnect the power. Doing so will also download any new software they have brought out, so it can be useful to restart the box from time to time.

Mine (with Wanadoo) regularly disconnects (at least a couple of times per day). I have it set to automatically re-connect (re-dial) so often I don't notice. today it went once and I had to switch of the ADSL modem and switch it back on again to get re-connected (actually this happened a few times this afternoon).

It is not good but I've spent so long on the phone to FT and had engineers out and nobody can fix it so I just have to accept it as "life".