SKY TV in South West France

Does anyone know if it is possible to recieve Sky TV as far south as Tarn (81)?

I've contacted a few of the LF advertisers but none of them seem to be able to assure me 100% and I don't want to fork out the money if it isn't possible.

Thank you

Yes it is. Check out SATCURE websites for postings from people who have set up much further South. Only caveat is the you are not in a very steep valley where sides of valley prevent dish being aimed at SAT. If you have French dishes in the area round it is very unlikely you will not be able to set up a system.  Also a drive round the area should find some SKY dishes which are normally black and oval in shape.

[quote]Hi You should have no problem there, footprint is OK for 80cm dish. I have installed a few near you to the west, an 80cm dish was required to receive all transponders in all weathers. Hope this hel...[/quote]

Hi there

I'm also trying to work out what size dish we need. I've had a look at the website and I'm not sure if a 60cm dish will be good enough for us or if we need something bigger, it looks like we're on the cusp of the band. We are in Haute Vienne (87).

Any help gratefully received

[quote]Hi there I'm also trying to work out what size dish we need. I've had a look at the website and I'm not sure if a 60cm dish will be good enough for us or if we need something bigger, it looks like we...[/quote]

If you are on the fringe then go for the larger one - better safe than sorry.
The only concern I would have is if you only have the space for a 60 cm dish, then you have to consider a south facing aspect that could accomodate the larger dish. It has NOT been unknown for some people to mount the dish on a concrete block in their back garden with a clear line of sight to the satellite.

This is normally because that they could not:
a) get the necessary permission to mount one on their home OR
b) the building itself was not suitable to have such a dish mounted on it. 

A 80 cm dish is quite larger than the Sky oval dish that I have here in the UK - these apparently do not function very well in France - so weight factors have to be taken into consideration.

If in doubt, then ask an expert - I think that someone has posted on here who knows better than I ?

We are in southern Aude and have a 80cm dish mounted on a wall about 2m from the ground, it is not neccessary to stick it on a chimney. Height has nothing to do with it, just a clear line of sight to the satellite. You could put it on the ground if you wanted to.

We also brought an oval 60cm mesh dish for Sky and this works very well too.

Neither work well in very bad storms but this is very rare so all in all I wouldn't worry, just get the dish aligned by someone who knows what they are doing.

[quote]Hi there I'm also trying to work out what size dish we need. I've had a look at the website and I'm not sure if a 60cm dish will be good enough for us or if we need something bigger, it looks like we...[/quote]

We run with no problems using a SKY 60 cm dish in 87.  The bigger the dish the harder they are to align and the more vulnerable they are to wind movement. Unless you need a very long 45 mretre plus run of co ax then 60 cm should be enough, the coverage maps are very conservative.