Getting a laptop delivered

I fancy a new laptop, seen one I like at dabs.com but they won't deliver to France. They have a very similar model on their French site. However it's 50 quid dearer plus there would be a currency conversion charge on my credit card but the main problem is I can't get on with French keyboards.

So, if I get the one I want delivered to a UK address are there any companies out there I can get to redeliver it to me?

A boxed laptop with manuals etc could weigh 3.5kg+.  For this weight, Euro 48 [hours delivery time] by Parcelforce International (from a Post Office) would cost £33.90 + additional compensation (£500 = £10, £1000 = £20) as the standard price only offers loss / damage compensation up to £150.

Details:

http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/jump2?mediaId=4800007&catId=2500033

http://www.pfwwsg.royalmail.com/servlet/acedispatcher?funcId=100&AceApplication=parcelforce&pageId=frameset

[quote]Also, surely the only difference in the K/B is the position of the A,Z,W & Q keys. Swop them over. The OS defines the result of a keypress, doesn't it? (ie. set the k/b up as a UK keyboard in Wind...[/quote]

No, not that simple unfortunately. The shift key has to be pressed to get numbers and most of the punctuation marks etc are in totally different places on a French keyboard.

Have you tried asking Dabs if you can have a couriers/carrier collect it. Most of the UPS/Citilink/Parcelforce, etc will do collections and then deliver on to somewhere else. They generally have no problem with European deliveries. The only think you may find is that, as a “one-off” customer they might be a bit expensive (but worth asking).

Alternatively, fins somewhere else that sells it that will do overseas deliveries.

Regards

Ian

We bought a laptop online from Carrefour and sent it back due to a fault and got a refund but it cost me 20 euros in postage so I wouldnt buy online, we eventually bought from Geant, seen one on offer in the store and got that.

Keyboard wise, our keys are shaped so cant change them round, best leaving it as it is.

With 99% of laptops you will be able to plug an external keyboard into either a dedicated keyboard port (otherwise known as a PS2 port) or a usb port. Both are readily available from UK shops, when we move to France we'll bring a supply with us.

I know that this is not a good solution if you are travelling around but it's good at home.

We sell lots of keyboards to our laptop customers because they don't like to built in laptop keyboards!

Always been a Dell customer up to now. My last purchase from them makes me think that they're not as good as they used to be.

Possibly's solutution is interesting. I've got a UK USB keyboard, can I just plug it into a French laptop and everything will work as usual or do I have to tinker about a bit?

With Dell, I think many people like them until “things don’t work properly”. When things don’t go right then seem to go really wrong and Dell are pretty incapable of resolving these things to peoples satisfaction. Whilst things normally go fine, one experience when things don’t tends to put people off for life.

Ian

>>Dell are pretty incapable of resolving these things to peoples satisfaction

Not for me - laptop hardrive went with 4-5 days left of the normal RTB warranty, after speaking to a (very) proficient support guy, Dell sent an engineer out within 4 days and fitted a new HD on site, reinstalled the OS and was gone in an hour, hard to beat that!

There are very few firms in the UK who will post to France.  One is www.laptopsdirect.co.uk.  I recently bought a Sony laptop from them.  You need to pay through an English bank account, cc etc which must be registered to your French address.  The first laptop ordered went missing in Paris but a replacement was sent and arrived in 3 days.  The charge for shipping to France is around £99 plus vat.