Safety regulations in rentals

CherryB

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in House Renovations but here goes:

My daughter rents a shared apartment near Paris which to my mind has a couple of safety concerns but I am not sure if these are actually illegal. Please can anyone help?

1) An electric socket right next to the kitchen sink tap (less than 20 cm).

2) No smoke alarm in apartment.

[quote user="CherryB"]My daughter rents a shared apartment near Paris which to my mind has a couple of safety concerns but I am not sure if these are actually illegal. 1) An electric socket right next to the kitchen sink tap (less than 20 cm).

2) No smoke alarm in apartment.[/quote]

I'm not sure but I don't think the smoke alarm has actually become obligatory yet; if it has we certainly haven't got one ! And the point has not been raised by our landlords.

Our kitchen tap is in-between two sockets - one is 70cm distant, the other is 80cm away. Mind you as it is a swing-about-spout then it is more like 50cm in one direction to a socket and 60cm to the other.

Sue

There is in a bathroom and a swimming pool but not a kitchen sink as far as I am aware. Smoke alarms are going to be a requirement soon.

I share your concern over the socket but if the circuit is protected by a disjointer differential (RCD) then it will stop the power faster than you would be electrocuted

Thank you to all posters (on both threads). I am amazed that there are not comparable regulations for kitchens and bathrooms but there you are. The socket is directly over the sink/drainer and the apartment is about twenty years old. Presumably in those twenty or so years there has never been a problem but it horrified me as a concerned mother when my daughter moved in. I'm not sure how essential the socket is to kitchen use but I will definitely suggest a socket cover.