No sound on my computer

Since my computer was repaired in the UK, we have had no sound. Is it likely that we still have sound and it just needs to be activated in someway? It does mention that I need to enable something on 'bios?' when the computer is first starting up, but it flashes on and off so quick , I can't read it!!!

Ive tried using the help on windows to no avail.

In Windows XP try going to Control panel - Sound and Audio Devices - Audio Tab - Volume. It is possible that "Mute all" is ticked or the volume conrol is set to zero.

In Windows 98 double click the speaker icon in the task bar and untick "Mute all" or increase volume.

Steve

I've had this problem before and discovered that because my sound was turned down on RealPlayer (the software I use to play video clips & music etc), all the sound on my PC was in effect turned down too. I turned it up (by bringing RealPlayer up and adjusting the slider bar) and all was okay.

So give this a try. If you're not using Real Player, maybe the same thing happens with Windows Media player or whatever else you might be using - I don't know.

Nick

Under Advanced Volume Control (click on advanced button when viewing volume control!), there is a small check box (AGC). On my machine this is checked. But I have tried some software which unchecks this (can't remember what it was), and then no sound! Took me a while to find this checkbox, checked it agaian and all was fine. You could try that.

Hi there.  Do you have separate speakers on your computer?  If you do, are they switched on?  We regularly have the "no sound" on our computer and it's invariably because the cats have disturbed the wiring in some way and a bit of tweaking usually rights the problem.

Mary

[quote]Since my computer was repaired in the UK, we have had no sound. Is it likely that we still have sound and it just needs to be activated in someway? It does mention that I need to enable something on '...[/quote]

Use the Pause / Break button to stop the scrolling information.  The advice given by others is most likely to have solved your problem otherwise if you can indicate your operating system, sound card installed or details of the motherboard if the sound card is "on board" then I'll try to help further.

Email me direct please.

Just a few thoughts from experience:

I presume you do not get the wonderful windows welcome music.  Is the lead to the speakers plugged in the correct socket - should be colour coded.  Do the speakers work - try them in a walkman or something low volume similar.  Try playing a CD - can you hear that.

CHRIS

Thanks for advice so far.

I have done everything suggested except using the advanced volume controls because I haven't got any!  I think it has been dis-activated somehow.

The speakers work with a walkman fine, I've now gone through every option in the help section clicking things that I never knew existed but still nothing but I do now have the volume icon in my taskbar which I haven't seen for a long time.