Hi there

For ages I hadn't been receiving any emails from any friends using wanadoo.fr. (No! My name is not "Billy no mates")

I have recently done some investigations and have been told by my ISP, tesco.net, that they have blocked all emails from wanadoo.fr because they keep spamming them.  Tesco will not remove them from their blocked list until they stop spamming. 

Tesco has suggested that I set up another email address with Yahoo or MSN, which I have done and I can now receive emails from all using wanadoo.fr.

I live in the UK at the moment and I would like to send an email to the Mairie who uses wanadoo.fr, explaining why I have changed email addresses. My french is very basic and I would like to know the french equivalent for:

1. ISP
  2. spamming 
  3. blocked

Any help will be much appreciated.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

I don’t know about Tesco and the particular situation but Wanadoo are pretty bad at generating SPAM. That is to say not the Wanadoo users/customers, nor Wanadoo’s own advertising to their own users but they seem to carry out SPAM shots on behalf of companies (who I assume pay them). I have had several occasions where I have had to take up this issue with Wanadoo to try to stop them SPAMing me with irrelevant rubbish they have sent on behalf of somebody else. I have never received any replies from them.

It is unfortunate that Wanadoo.fr do not take the problems of SPAM seriously and actually are part of the cause themselves. I would encourage people using Wanadoo.fr to complain to Wanadoo.

Re the situation with Tesco – I believe this is actually with NTL (who actually provide the Tesco service) and thus the problem is a bit wider than just Tesco.

Ian

US English tends to be the international language of the internet, à la Microsoft, Google etc., so most French understand the English terms.  However, to be accurate:

[1] ISP = Fournisseur d’accès à Internet (although most French people will understand ISP)

[2] Spamming = spam (Universal term, a French spammer is “un spammeur”)

[3] Blocked = bloquer.

All of us “Wanadoo.fr” users are sick of e-mails to NTL and Tesco being bounced back, but Wanadoo don’t want to know.   

Wanadoo.fr is a joke we get loads of spam  I think they do it on purpose because they sell an aditional antispam package which I for one object to pay  they know dam well when any message says re[4]: or any thing remotely like it is spam or any reference to enlarging private parts. its so bad I get embarassed that anyone looking at my mail when I am on holliday will think I am a pervert  .They have the power to sort it out  I wish I could still use my BTOPENWORLD account I used to call it fit to burn untill I came here