pc to landline

See towards the end of the previous thread (http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=290&MessageID=243441). VoIP Buster works fine and calls PC to landline (most countries including UK) are free provided you have min $5 in your account.

Skype is OK, but as they introduce more updates so they are introducing more bugs (it has actually got quite buggy now). Also, their paid for services are pretty expensive and you can get far better quality/service at lower cost elsewhere. Skype’s Instant Messaging is complete rubbish so it you want that use Yahoo/MSN/Jabber messengers (avoid AIM/AOL due to their multiple logon issues). If you pay any money to Skype wave it goodbye as, if you become dissatisfied there is no way it is ever worth the grief trying to contact their customer services to get anything back.

Skype’s main strengths are PC to PC voice connectivity particularly where you have firewalls or security systems between you and the caller (which you often do have). Another strength of Skype’s is the number of people using it (though do not betaken in by their 150 million users claim – its 150 million downloads and most people who have been using it for more than a few months will have had to upgrade several times.

Also, if you go for Skype, be vary careful how much info you put in for Skype profile. If you put in that you are an English speaker and live in France you can become a bit pestered by some US people who still resent the French (I assume after the Iraq war). Being an English speaker they reckon you will understand them and being in France they are well “just anti-French”. It can take some time for Skype’s peer-to-peer architecture to completely update to remove profile info later. Skype is quite low on security and there is no “ex-directory” setting. Best to leave everything blank and just tell your friends your Skype ID.

For PC to landline VoIP Buster works well and is much cheaper than Skype. However, read the thread above because there are also landline to landline systems that are cheaper (and better) than Skype.

IAn

Thanks again, I have just read the thread, mmm interesting.

If people don't want the cost of calling uk or other mobiles, why don;t they download 'text me free', or has this already been discussed somewhere ?

Sharon

I said on another thread a couple of days ago that I was having problems setting up a p c to p c conversation with a friend in Spain using VoIPBuster. The problem was actually caused by the volume settings on the p c at the Spanish end. Once corrected we had an excellent quality conversation with my friend using a headset and me using a microphone and the p c speakers. Good product.

Benjamin

Great, I'll put my five quid on later and have a chat with all my family, Thanks.

Has the Phonetastic 'textmefree' been covered at all, i.e. free txting to mobiles,?

I know there are other's that do this, but this was really easy to set up and txt's get through really quick with no ad's or spam.

Sharon.